Fake email campaign copying ransomware techniques

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

IT researchers at Avast have come across a new scam.

Cyber criminals are sending emails to individual recipients in companies **claiming** (!) to have committed a cyber intrusion and captured large amounts of data. Among this data would be HR data such as employee files and personal and medical records.

The attackers threaten to sell the data if they do not receive a response. They also mention relevant laws and regulations that threaten severe penalties for a company in case of data leaks if they are not handled in accordance with the law.

The scammers ask recipients to inform their superiors about the incident, probably to build pressure within the company and provoke a hasty response.

According to what we know so far, the allegations in the emails are not true and no successful attack has taken place. The scammers are merely borrowing from the scam used by ransomware attackers.

Affected parties should remain calm and inform the IT security department responsible in the company or the IT security officer and leave the further reaction to them. Under no circumstances should they react on their own.

Even though there does not seem to be any real danger to the company's data here, it shows how important a reliable data backup strategy is to be sure that all important data is effectively protected.

Further information here:
https://blog.avast.com/data-extortion-email-campaign

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It is interesting these email scams as you can usually tell right away looking at the FROM address for the email that it is no legitimate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I would not rely on that. The emails are getting better and better and more and more defficult to distinguish...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I would not rely on that. The emails are getting better and better and more and more defficult to distinguish...

Oh, I don’t rely just on that, but it is a good tell-tale if you can spot it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Definitely a start to look at the from address or message headers.  It doesn't really tell you if it’s a real threat or a potential threat, but to be fair, most malware doesn’t email you before they start encrypting things….that’s too much of a warning IMO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes, and especially now, the attacker can have access to ChatGPT or AI bot as well, it is getting more sophisticated.

Comment