vSphere 8.0 U2 is Released: Reminder not to Update immediately

• 22 September 2023
  • 47 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Morning everyone,

VMware vSphere 8.0 U2 is now available, with improvements to lifecycle management, AI workloads, and DevOps amongst others!

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2023/09/vsphere-8-update-2-now-available.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=vsphere-8-update-2-now-available

A quick reminder to all, Veeam Backup & Replication v12 only supports up to vSphere 8.0 U1 currently. Veeam can’t start their validation until the code is available so we’ll now see Veeam begin their testing process.

You can check the status of vSphere platform support here: https://www.veeam.com/kb2443

Veeam typically target vSphere platform support within 90 days of release, so with the betas of VBR 12.1 functionality appearing online, I’d guess we won’t see 8.0 U2 support until 12.1 ships unless that encounters massive delays.

So yes, wait for Veeam to support vSphere 8.0 U2 before you upgrade, there’s no point having all this new functionality if you can’t protect any of your workloads!

47 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Saw the release this morning and started to begin the process then put the brakes on. May install anyway and test usually Veeam does not break but we will see. 😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for share Michael!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Is it Ok if we update, break everything, then post an angry message on the RnD forums that Veeam doesn’t support it yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is it Ok if we update, break everything, then post an angry message on the RnD forums that Veeam doesn’t support it yet?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Also make sure you don’t read the release notes before attempting this 😂

Full 5 minutes of laughter from that.😅

Best coffee break of the week, thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Installed vSphere 8U2 and other than the typical API warning everything works as expected.  Just FYI for those wanting to test and be on the bleeding edge like me.  😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’ll hold off for a while. I used to be the bleeding edge type, but I like to avoid headaches and the new features usually don’t all apply to me anyways. 

Userlevel 2

I have 8U2 and tried some file restores and that was ok.

While trying to restore whole vm somehow after restore you can't login into domain. If you rejoin domain then is ok.

Restoring from NetApp snapshot with “Instant restore” there was no issue.

I made mistake installing U2, don't do it and wait for official test from Veeam. 

Userlevel 2

If you rushed like me and installed 8U2 I would advise you to backup daily your AD’s system backup with internal windows backup software to a some share on your network. In case of disaster you can restore you AD’s properly. At this moment you just can’t trust untested 8U2 with Veeam. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you rushed like me and installed 8U2 I would advise you to backup daily your AD’s system backup with internal windows backup software to a some share on your network. In case of disaster you can restore you AD’s properly. At this moment you just can’t trust untested 8U2 with Veeam. 

Thanks for sharing that.  I just upgraded my AD servers to 2022 so will set this up too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

While trying to restore whole vm somehow after restore you can't login into domain. If you rejoin domain then is ok.

I made mistake installing U2, don't do it and wait for official test from Veeam. 

Hi @Milo Milic 

Maybe your computer password was reseted by the AD controller between the backup and restore of that machine? This happens automatically every 30 days.

When you restore a machine from a backup state with the old Computer password, login in with domain credentials will not work. There will be a error message about the trust relationship. Something like „Trust Relationship Between This Workstation And The Primary Domain Failed“

This can always happen with restored and would not be related to the U2 update.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 2

Hi @Milo Milic 

Maybe your computer password was reseted by the AD controller between the backup and restore of that machine? This happens automatically every 30 days.

When you restore a machine from a backup state with the old Computer password, login in with domain credentials will not work. There will be a error message about the trust relationship. Something like „Trust Relationship Between This Workstation And The Primary Domain Failed“

This can always happen with restored and would not be related to the U2 update.

Best,

Fabian

Hi Fabian, 

Backup was 1 day before update 8U2. Same day backup from Netapp snapshot was no issue.  I will try tomorrow again and I will confirm here.

Best Regards,

Milo

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The computer password could have changed between the VM backup and netapp snapshot. That would explain the no-login issue for the VM backup.

Looking forward to your new test with a fresh backup :)

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 2

Hi Fabian,

Tested restore again today and all is ok. You were right about the password change.

Best Regards,

Milo

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thank you for testing it again :)
Really appreciate your feedback.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 1

I upgraded to vCenter 8.02 from 7.03 yesterday and got the warning about in one of the backup jobs about unsupported vCenter version.
I still had my vCenter 7.03 vm so I desided it was better to be safe then sorry so i shut down vCenter 8 and started vCenter 7 again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Testing 8.0.2 in my lab today and so far it seems great!

Will test out some Veeam features if i get a chance to see if it works, but not production!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I upgraded to vCenter 8.02 from 7.03 yesterday and got the warning about in one of the backup jobs about unsupported vCenter version.
I still had my vCenter 7.03 vm so I desided it was better to be safe then sorry so i shut down vCenter 8 and started vCenter 7 again.

I am still running 8U2 without issues.  That warning was once and never since with no issues so far.

Userlevel 1

I am still running 8U2 without issues.  That warning was once and never since with no issues so far.

Well, I startet our vCenteer 8U2 again because when i surfed to https://vcenter:5480/ I saw it was in an upgrade state. I will deside next week what to do. But maybe I do not have to worry since 8U2 is working for others.

Userlevel 1

Well, I startet our vCenteer 8U2 again because when i surfed to https://vcenter:5480/ I saw it was in an upgrade state. I will deside next week what to do. But maybe I do not have to worry since 8U2 is working for others.

Today shut down vCenter 8U2 and started vCenter 7 and then upgraded it successfully to a vCenter 8 that is supported by Veeam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Glad to hear you got a workaround and things are going.

Badge

CDP doesnt work. Anyone found workaround ? Lab environment.. 

[TryOverrideApiVersion] The native API version [8.0.2.0] for VC [vcenterpr.domain.corp] was changed to current max supported [8.0.1.0]
[12.10.2023 10:12:33.551] <12> Info         [Soap] QueryClusterIoFilterInfo, clusterComputeResourceRef 'domain-c5830769', vendorName 'VEE'
[12.10.2023 10:12:33.614] <12> Info         [Soap] GetHostsUnderCluster, clusterRef 'domain-c5830769'
[12.10.2023 10:12:33.614] <12> Warning      [TryOverrideApiVersion] The native API version [8.0.2.0] for VC [vcenterpr.domain.corp] was changed to current max supported [8.0.1.0]
[12.10.2023 10:12:33.817] <12> Info         [IOFilter] Discovering filters on host [esxidr.domain.corp]
[12.10.2023 10:12:33.911] <12> Info         [IOFilter] Filters on host [esxidr.domain.corp] successfully discovered: Filter not installed
[12.10.2023 10:12:33.926] <12> Info         [IOFilter] Discover results: No CDP components discovered on cluster [Dell Intel Cluster]
[12.10.2023 10:12:33.926] <12> Info         [IOFilter] Installing CDP components on cluster [Dell Intel Cluster]
[12.10.2023 10:12:33.926] <12> Info         [IOFilter] Checking I/O filter installation requirements for cluster Dell Intel Cluster
[12.10.2023 10:12:33.926] <12> Info         [IOFilter] Checking I/O filter installation requirements for host esxidr.domain.corp
[12.10.2023 10:12:33.942] <12> Info         [Soap] GetHardwareInfo, hostRef 'host-5822178'
[12.10.2023 10:12:33.989] <12> Info         [IOFilter] Host esxidr.domain.corp meets I/O filter installation requirements
[12.10.2023 10:12:34.051] <12> Info         [Soap] InstallIoFilter, vibUrl 'https://ms-veeam.domain.corp:33034/dapi/bundle/8.0.0/12.0.1008', clusterComputeResourceRef 'domain-c5830769'
[12.10.2023 10:12:36.286] <12> Info         [Soap] QueryClusterIoFilterInfo, clustSerComputeResourceRef 'domain-c5830769', vendorName 'VEE'
[12.10.2023 10:12:36.333] <12> Error        [IOFilter] Failed to log filter issues: filter not installed
[12.10.2023 10:12:36.333] <12> Error        [IOFilter] 
[12.10.2023 10:12:36.348] <12> Error        Failed to install CDP components via cluster API for Dell Intel Cluster (System.Exception)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That is probably due to the I/O filter driver not being compatible with U2 just yet.  I believe in 12.1 when it is released it will be so you will need to wait until then unfortunately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello
Veeam announced compatibility-level support for vSphere 8.0 U2 with the latest VBR release v12 P20230718.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2443?ck=1676356277100

Comment