VEEAMON 2022 LIVE – RECAP

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

VeeamON 2022 was live this year in Las Vegas and it was a great event.  I am a little late with my review of the conference due to catching COVID when I got back which took me out last week.  But I am back to feeling great again so here is my in-depth review and many of the new things coming in v12.

Being able to walk the strip as well being my first time in Vegas was something of amazement with the sights and sounds as well as the lights.  You definitely get your steps in when you go to Vegas!

First off the conference was great and to be able to attend live again was something else.  Being able to discuss and mingle with the vCommunity again was terrific as chatting with someone in person is something special.  The conference was packed into three days of exciting sessions, the welcome reception, expo hall, tech town, swag shop and even a visit from some friendly little dogs to lighten your day.

The welcome reception on the first night was filled with music, live performers, some great food and the ability to just mingle and chat with everyone.  After a long first night, the next two days would be jam-packed with sessions, expo hall meeting vendors and tech town where you could do the Hands-On-Labs or participate in LabWarz with the chance to win $10,000!!

While attending sessions there was also work meetings and discussions with Veeam on future outlooks and strategies which was another great benefit of attending live.  Below are some of the highlights from the event and what is coming in v12 for Veeam Backup & Replication which many I am looking forward to.

v12 - What's New & Enhancements

Veeam Console

• Better Kerberos support
  • MFA Login – ability to use Authenticator app for secure logins – this will help improve security and also allow us to keep Veeam off the Domain now possibly (needs testing)
  • Auto-Logoff option now to kill disconnected sessions – will save memory and usage on Veeam servers
  • Group Managed Service Account (gMSA)
    • The backup server does not store passwords for application processing
    • The backup server gets passwords on-demand from Active Directory

Core

• Improved retention for freeing up space on repositories
  • Drastically improved per-machine backup chains – separate VBM for every VM in a job now
  • NEW – PostgreSQL database option and a migration path from SQL – saves MS licenses

Better Compression algorithms:

• High compression
    • Backup: up to three times faster, up to 20% better compression
    • Restore: two times faster
  • Extreme compression
    • Backup: up to 40% faster, up to 15% better compression
    • Restore: two times faster

VCC Improvements

• CDP for Service Providers now – tenant can direct CDP to VCC
  • CDP to vCloud Director – can direct CDP to vAPPs
  • CDP from VCC to another VCC – ability to set up CDP to send data from one VCC to another VCC at another Datacenter
  • The ability of the Service Provider to complete a restore within the VCC environment from Tenant backups (Instant Recovery)

VSPC

• Ability to patch remotely managed VBR servers - improved

VeeaMover (not the final name)

• Any file system to any other file system
  • Move backups to a different repository
  • Scale-Out Repository extent evacuation
  • Migrate NTFS to REFS (any to any)
  • Copy backups to a different repository
  • Rebalance Scale-Out Repository
  • Migrate REFS to XFS for Hardened Repository
  • Job level move
    • Disables job during migration
    • Moves backup files (including transaction logs)
  • Machine level move
    • Excludes machine(s) from existing job
    • Moves backup files (including transaction logs)
    • Includes machine(s) to a new job

SOBR rebalance:

• Puts extents into maintenance mode and rebalances

Object storage 

• Can be used as a performance tier as well as a capacity tier
  • Can go straight from performance tier to archive tier without a capacity tier (optional)
  • Can be used as extents in SOBR with immutability for a set number of days
  • Can export full backup from object storage
  • Agents can send directly to OBS now
  • Improved Object Storage format of files
  • Export full backups from OBS

New Features for Linux: 

• Linux proxy: backup from Storage Snapshots for NFS
  • CDP proxy
  • Tape server

Top Secret session

VM365 integration with VeeamONE and VSPC coming in VM365 v7

Monitoring and reporting on controllers, repository/proxy servers, object storage repository

While all these enhancements and new offerings for v12 are coming I think one of my favourites is the "VeeaMover" that is going to allow easy migrations from ReFS to XFS and vice versa as well as the ability to rebalance your SOBR now!  Game changer!!

Many of the sessions that were live are also now available on-demand to watch including the virtual content as well.  You can check it out here - VeeamON 2022 - On-Demand

One other noteworthy announcement is that VeeamON 2023 is returning to Miami next year, so get your sunscreen and bathing suits ready to hit the beach with Veeam next year.

23 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Super, thank you for the overview.

I am still catching up with all the session recordings…. 😎

Great recap buddy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks guys.  Was hard to get all the details and go through the million of pictures I took for Tweeting. 😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

+1 @Chris.Childerhose, great overview, well done!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

+1 @Chris.Childerhose, weldone!

Thanks 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Nice post @Chris.Childerhose! Is so good to see all these features separate by topic.

Well done my friend!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Nice post @Chris.Childerhose! Is so good to see all these features separate by topic.

Well done my friend!

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Great recap!, thanks @Chris.Childerhose 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thank you for your post! Would have liked to be there!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great recap!, thanks @Chris.Childerhose 

Thanks Victor

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

great write, you made me want to go back and see the recordings after my spring holidays 😁

I loved application improvements too:

• RMAN Scheduling  from VBR, rman plugins centralized management from console
  • MSSQL studio plugins
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Great recap @Chris.Childerhose VeeaMover does look really really cool

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great recap @Chris.Childerhose VeeaMover does look really really cool

Thanks 👍

Userlevel 1

Is there any news re v12 removing dependencies on legacy NTLM and replacing with modern Kerberos  protocol including use in DMZ over TCP 88?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is there any news re v12 removing dependencies on legacy NTLM and replacing with modern Kerberos  protocol including use in DMZ over TCP 88?

I know there is security updates for sure but not specifically sure for what you have asked. I will try to find out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@sphar1970 

We have Kerberos Only support with NTLM disabled in V12.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Chris and Mildur for the prompt responses.

For our 20+ remote “Spoke” sites, we envisage using VEEAM v12 to backup/dedup to a local HPE StoreOnce VSA appliance. Typical data size is 3Tb per site.

Each “Spoke” site then uses VEEAM to replicate to a “Hub” HPE StoreOnce Appliances (100TB+)

Not sure if the above is latest or best practice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

We don’t recommend Dedup Appliances as primary backup targets because of performance reasons. They work and are supported, but better to design a solution with general purpose servers with locally attached disks. Especially if you have only 3TB to store at each remote site. A small Server with a few local disks should be cheaper than a store once.

Restore Performance will be much better. And the most important part of a backup is that you can restore. :)

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the information Mildur.

We currently have 1 x HPE Proliant Servers (File/Print/DCs etc) with a SAS connected LTO8 tape drive at each of the remote 20+ sites to backup locally.

Not sure what we can do if StoreOnce VSAs are not cost effective given we also can’t deploy another server purely for backup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Great seeing you & the other Vannies there Chris. Hope to catch up in the Fall, or at least maybe in MIA for the 2023 event.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great seeing you & the other Vannies there Chris. Hope to catch up in the Fall, or at least maybe in MIA for the 2023 event.

Cheers!

Definitely was great to meet everyone in person for sure. Let's see what the fall brings.

It looks like all of the recorded sessions have been removed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It looks like all of the recorded sessions have been removed?

Yes, the sessions were online until mid of July.

Comment