Veeam 12.1.2 Release - Information & Upgrade

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

With the release of 12.1.2 on Tuesday May 21st and after completing several upgrades I decided to do a blog post on the update and upgrade process.

You can find my blog here - https://just-virtualization.tech/2024/05/22/veeam-12-1-2-release-upgrade/

Veeam 12.1.2 Release – Upgrade

On May 21, 2024, Veeam Software released an update to the Veeam Backup & Replication products in the form of version 12.1.2.172. This update addresses some critical security vulnerabilities as well as has new enhancements plus a ton more fixes to address other bugs and issues.

You can find out more about the release from the following KB page – KB4510: Release Information for Veeam Backup & Replication 12.1 and Updates

Some of the highlights for this release –

Vulnerabilities
Indicated severity values are CVSS 3.1 scores.

Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager (VBEM)

CVE-2024-29849 | Severity: Critical (9.8)
This vulnerability in Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager allows an unauthenticated attacker to log in to the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager web interface as any user.

CVE-2024-29850 | Severity: High (8.8)
This Vulnerability in Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager allows account takeover via NTLM relay.

CVE-2024-29851 | Severity: High (7.2)
This vulnerability in Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager allows a high-privileged user to steal the NTLM hash of the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager service account if that service account is anything other than the default Local System account.

CVE-2024-29852 | Severity: Low (2.7)
This vulnerability in Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager allows high-privileged users to read backup session logs.

Veeam Agent for Windows (VAW)

CVE-2024-29853 | Severity: High (7.8)
This vulnerability in Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows allows for Local Privilege Escalation.

You can read more about the other changes, enhancements, new features and fixes at the link above.

Once the release came out I had the change to run the patch installer on my homelab to upgrade it and you can do the same. The following steps are required during the upgrade –

• Download the PATCH installer from the link above or the ISO file – either will work to upgrade but the patch installer is what I used.
  • Extract the ZIP file and run the EXE file by double-clicking on it.
  • The upgrade installer starts and is displayed on screen.
  • Click on Next to proceed to the next screen which is the License Agreement.
  • Click “I accept” and then the system will run a Configuration Check to ensure the upgrade is able to proceed.
  • Once the check completes the Ready to Install screen comes up – here you will check off the “Update remote components automatically” or leave it unchecked so when you open the console you will then be prompted to run the updates to Proxies, Repos, etc. I would recommend the automatic update checkbox be selected.
  • Once ready click the Install button and allow Veeam to update your server to 12.1.2.172. Once complete you can click Finish to exit the upgrade wizard.

That completes the upgrade process and you can now launch the Veeam Console to check your jobs and settings to ensure nothing is in error or did not update and is pending from the upgrade installation.

Hopefully this was useful and you can find more of my Veeam articles here – https://just-virtualization.tech/category/veeam/

Until next time – happy blogging!

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I’m gonna let this roll a bit before I do my upgrades. Thanks for the visual instructions Chris!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Not a problem visual is always good. 😁

I upgraded my lab now cause we are getting pressure from clients/partners about the CVEs so may upgrade sooner than I like.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Not a problem visual is always good. 😁

I upgraded my lab now cause we are getting pressure from clients/partners about the CVEs so may upgrade sooner than I like.

I certainly understand about the CVEs. Emilee shared with me yesterday after our VUG about the EM bug that was found. Did you hear about the details there? That was crazy!!! 😲

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Those EM CVE are crazy. Customer should upgrade ASAP!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Those EM CVE are crazy. Customer should upgrade ASAP!

TRUTH!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Nice post Chris! Thanks for share.

I already upgrade EM and VBR on a big client and do not face any issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Nice post Chris! Thanks for share.

I already upgrade EM and VBR on a big client and do not face any issue.

Thanks.  Glad it is helping people.  😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I upgraded PROD pretty quick on this one with zero issues. 

I’ve been pumping the gas at work on many upgrades lately. There’s always the config backup if needed 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I upgraded PROD pretty quick on this one with zero issues. 

I’ve been pumping the gas at work on many upgrades lately. There’s always the config backup if needed 😁

Yeah we will be pushing this out starting next week and hoping to use VSPC to do the upgrades for some servers as well to help with this.  No issues so far on the ones I have upgraded either.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Nice post.  I did a new deployment with 12.1.2 Thursday for a new client and it’s been working great with the exception of I’m having an issue backing up a DC with Application Aware Processing enabled, but I think this is more of a VM issue and not a Veeam issue.  Happy to report though that all appears to be the same of course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Nice post.  I did a new deployment with 12.1.2 Thursday for a new client and it’s been working great with the exception of I’m having an issue backing up a DC with Application Aware Processing enabled, but I think this is more of a VM issue and not a Veeam issue.  Happy to report though that all appears to be the same of course.

Thanks. Glad it helped out. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Chris.Childerhose,

Is this the same patch for Veeam Enterprise Manager .

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Chris.Childerhose,

Is this the same patch for Veeam Enterprise Manager .

Yes it is the same patch for VEM too.  👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Chris.Childerhose,

Thank you I could upgrade both Veeam BR and EA.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Chris.Childerhose,

Thank you I could upgrade both Veeam BR and EA.

Not a problem at all.

Comment