[Quicktip] Failed Veeam Backup&Replication Upgrade

• 16 November 2020
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Recently I had problems by upgrading Veeam from 9.5U4 to v10. Upgrade process failed after a while. We found out, directory C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup lost its permissions. We had no change any more to enter this directory. 

Short answer: Antivirus software causes the problem. After disabling real-time scan, upgrade run without further issues. Antivirus software was configured according Veeam best practices.

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh yes, Antivirus is often a problem with VEEAM update and installation.

We had an issue at some environments that the unpack of the installation iso took more than two hours. After switching off the Antivirus the unpack was done in less than a minute….

It is not a VEEAM probem really, but you have to keep the Antivirus in mind before installing/updating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Oh yes, Antivirus is often a problem with VEEAM update and installation.

We had an issue at some environments that the unpack of the installation iso took more than two hours. After switching off the Antivirus the unpack was done in less than a minute….

You right! Shame on me, it wasn’t my first guess. Veeam support helped us out here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Wowza, two hours is a long time! Was this you trying to unpack the contents of an ISO file (like unpacking a ZIP/rar file)? or did was trying to install from a mounted ISO file?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Wowza, two hours is a long time! Was this you trying to unpack the contents of an ISO file (like unpacking a ZIP/rar file)? or did was trying to install from a mounted ISO file?

It was to unpack an ISO file.

Seems that some Antivirus programs result in bigger probems than others. In several client environments with another Antivirus program running the unpack was done in several minutes. So in these environments there is a not too big problem there...

After these experiences I always ask the admin to switch off the Antivirus while installing/udating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It was to unpack an ISO file.

Seems that some Antivirus programs result in bigger probems than others. In several client environments with another Antivirus program running the unpack was done in several minutes. So in these environments there is a not too big problem there...

After these experiences I always ask the admin to switch off the Antivirus while installing/udating.

I agree! This will be my new recommendations for updates too.

Comment