Hardened (Immutable) extent in Scale Out Repository

• 17 February 2021
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you do no know much about Hardened Repository in Veeam VBR v11, read here to learn more about:

I was asked, if a hardened repository can be a extent of a Scale Out Repository (SOBR). Good news: yes it can! But you have to take some facts into account.

1. Hardened repositories can be Performance Tiers of SOBR.
  2. A SOBR can contain a mix of repositories: ReFS, XFS, Immutable and mutable.
  3. Even in mixed SOBR, Performance Placement Policy can be set. That leads to, for example, immutable increments and mutable fulls.
  4. When you mix, for example, ReFS with immutable extents, you can use Evacuate backups to free an extent.

I would not recommend any points 1 - 3!

In my opinion the point 4 is the most important. With evacuating an extent you can easily migrate from ReFS to XFS with immutability.

Notice:

• If you evacuate an immutable repository, Veeam performs a copy, not a move operation! Which makes perfect sense!
  • When backups are evacuated to a hardened repository, files will be immutable as long as defined in repository.
  • During evacuation operation backups may fail because backup files are locked by the operation.

5 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

From my experience recently we had an issue when mixing ReFS and XFS together and were actually told by Veeam that it is not a good idea.  We have since removed XFS to put in its own SOBR away from ReFS and things operate much better.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

From my experience recently we had an issue when mixing ReFS and XFS together and were actually told by Veeam that it is not a good idea.  We have since removed XFS to put in its own SOBR away from ReFS and things operate much better.

Yes, you commented already here:

This is one of the reasons, “I would not recommend any points 1 - 3!”

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Ah gotcha.  My bad not seeing that one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for the feedback of your test @vNote42 , it’s good to know!

Badge

I have been doing some testing on mixed ReFS and XFS immutable repositories  myself over the last few days and whilst it does work, its good to know that just because you can, doesn't mean you should  :grinning:

Comment