Skip to main content

[guide] How to install & Configure Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager (OLVM)& RHEL

A greeting to all
I have deployed a POC of OLVM 4 host Hypervisor version 4.5.4-1.0.31.el8, to replace Vmware infrastructure.

I am successfully testing the Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization 4.1. 
I enclose a fairly comprehensive guide with the ste by steps of configuration

With ISO version 12.1.2.172 the Ovirt KVM plug-in is already installed.

for those who do not have latest version of VBR installed download and install the plugin

• Download plug in

https://www.veeam.com/it/products/downloads.html?ad=top-sub-menu

Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Perform the following Operations
  •  

• Architecture Overview

Architecture Overview - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Virtualization manager

Virtualization manager is a Linux-based physical or virtual machine that manages oVirt resources such as VMs, hosts, clusters, storage domains and networks.

• Backup server

A backup server is a Windows-based physical or virtual machine on which Veeam Backup & Replication is installed. The backup server is the configuration, administration and management core of the backup infrastructure

Backup appliance

A backup appliance is a Linux-based VM that resides in the cluster. The backup appliance is an architecture component that sits logically between the backup server and other components of the backup infrastructure.

• oVirt KVM Plug-in

oVirt KVM Plug-in is an architecture component that enables integration between the backup server and the backup appliance. oVirt KVM Plug-in also allows the backup server to deploy and manage the backup appliance and workers.

Backup repositories

A backup repository is a storage location where Veeam Backup for OLVM and RHV stores backups of protected oVirt VMs.

Workers

A worker is an auxiliary Linux-based VM that resides in the cluster and processes backup workloads when transferring data to and from backup repositories.

The backup appliance comes with a preconfigured embedded worker that can be used in small virtual environments. In large environments, it is recommended to deploy dedicated workers that are distributed among the cluster hosts (nodes) and are automatically launched for the duration of a backup or restore process.

• System Requirements

System Requirements - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Permission

Permissions - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

Adding VM Portal Permissions to a Use (Oracle Linux Virtualization manager Docs)

Global Configuration (oracle.com)

• Ports

Ports - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Backup Appliance Sizing Guidelines

Sizing Guidelines - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Licensing

Licensing - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Deployng – Installing oVirt KVM Plug-in

First install your VBR server from ISO last version at the moment is 12.1.2.172

sguide] v12.1 Beta: How to Install PostgreSQL 15.4 & VBR 12.1 & EM + Malware Detect Extension to Monitor | Veeam Community Resource Hub

or

VBR v11 - Step by step: Installation & Configuration Best Practices - PART 1 | Veeam Community Resource Hub

VBR v11 - Step by step: Installation & Configuration Best Practices - PART 2 | Veeam Community Resource Hub

With ISO version 12.1.2.172 the Ovirt KVM plug-in is already installed.

• Configure Backup Repository

Configuring Backup Repositories - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Check this

• How to configure RDM Backup Repository on Ovirt VBR Virtual Manchine.

Mapped 1 TB RDM volume as a Backup Repository to be attached to the VBR VM on the KVM hypervisor

• Go to Virtualization manager Administration Portal
  • Go to Virtual Machine
  • Select VM VBR server or server backup repository
  • Create backup Repository

Format RDM volume in REFS – 64K

• Connecting Virtualization Manager

Connecting Virtualization Manager - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

This is the correct user format for the kvmm administrative user

• Lunch new Ovirt KVM Proxy Wizard

Step 1. Launch New oVirt KVM Proxy Wizard - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

or

Step 5. Specify Credentials - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Managing Workers

Managing Workers - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

To perform most data protection and disaster recovery operations, Veeam Backup for OLVM and RHV uses workers. Workers are Linux-based VMs that are responsible for the interaction between the backup appliance and other Veeam Backup for OLVM and RHV components. Workers process backup workload and distribute backup traffic when transferring data to backup repositories.

By default, the worker role is assigned to the backup appliance. However, this is sufficient only for small deployments. For large deployments, it is recommended to deploy dedicated workers as the embedded worker may not have enough bandwidth to process backup traffic. Deploying dedicated workers allows you to increase the maximum number of concurrent backup and restore operations, and to avoid high traffic load on the host running the backup appliance.

• Adding Workers

Enabling and Disabling Workers - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Editing Workers

Editing Workers - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Updating Workers

Updating Workers - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

In my case, I enabled proxy browsing and successfully updated the worker.

• Removing Workers

Removing Workers - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Performing Configuration Backup and Restore

Performing Configuration Backup and Restore - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

It is recommended that you regularly perform configuration backup for every backup appliance present in the backup infrastructure. Periodic configuration backups reduce the risk of data loss and minimize the administrative overhead costs in case any problems with the backup appliances occur.

You can run configuration backup manually on demand, or instruct Veeam Backup for OLVM and RHV to do it automatically on a regular basis. Note that the backup appliance configuration database is backed up together with the backup server configuration database. However, the backup appliance configuration restore operation does not affect the backup server configuration.

Backing Up Configuration Settings Automatically - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Creating a Job

Creating Backup Jobs - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Check Changed Block Tracking

During the first (full) backup session, Veeam Backup for OLVM and RHV creates a snapshot of a VM using native oVirt capabilities. To do that, Veeam Backup for OLVM and RHV sends API requests to access the content of the snapshot and to detect unallocated data blocks.

Changed Block Tracking - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

KB4208: VM Disks Support for oVirt Incremental Backup (veeam.com)

or

KB4345: Converting Disk from RAW to QCOW2 to Allow For Incremental Backup (veeam.com)

• Check Workers
  • Check incremental backup
  • Performing Restore

Performing Restore - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Performing VM Restore

Performing VM Restore - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

• Performing Backup TAG

Administration Guide | oVirt

Cheers

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Haven’t seen this HV yet. Thanks for sharing. 👍🏻

I was hoping to try OLVM this summer, but haven’t had the time. May still try and get to it...we’ll see.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Interesting and complete blog post, thank you for sharing @Link State 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

add link discussion for FLR bug

KVM Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager - FLR bug | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Very informative @Link State Cheers!

@Link State 

I need your help on adding the new oVirt KVM Proxy, I keep receiving an error “The path variable 'PROXYUID' in the UriTemplate must be bound to a non-empty string value. Parameter name: parameters”

After I check the host event record in the the OVLM, it show “Failed to add proxy image ticket, transferring via proxy_url is not available.”

In my OLVM portal, I tried to test the connection in upload image pages, it show

“Connection to ovirt-imageio service has failed. Ensure that ovirt-engine certificate is registered as a valid CA in the browser.”

I did installed the certification in my computer and also the chrome browser. The certificate has put into the Personal and Trusted Root 

My Lab is in different network and connected with VPN, does it required the Veeam server and the oVirt server in the same network ?

The version of OLVM and Veeam BBR are: 

OLVM: Version 4.5.4-1.0.31.el8

VBR: 12.1.2.127

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi

@Link State

I need your help on adding the new oVirt KVM Proxy, I keep receiving an error “The path variable 'PROXYUID' in the UriTemplate must be bound to a non-empty string value. Parameter name: parameters”

After I check the host event record in the the OVLM, it show “Failed to add proxy image ticket, transferring via proxy_url is not available.”

In my OLVM portal, I tried to test the connection in upload image pages, it show

“Connection to ovirt-imageio service has failed. Ensure that ovirt-engine certificate is registered as a valid CA in the browser.”

I did installed the certification in my computer and also the chrome browser. The certificate has put into the Personal and Trusted Root 

My Lab is in different network and connected with VPN, does it required the Veeam server and the oVirt server in the same network ?

The version of OLVM and Veeam BBR are: 

OLVM: Version 4.5.4-1.0.31.el8

VBR: 12.1.2.127

Hi @agul0816 

hello to upload an ISO you need to import the Virtualization Manager CA certificate to the Browser.
Not necessary that veeam is placed in the same network( it is recommended) just make sure that all TCP\UDP ports needed for communication are enabled between cue lan\firewall.

(Connection to ovirt-imageio service has failed. Ensure that ovirt-engine certificate is registered as a valid CA in the browser).

Try doing a telnet test on TCP 443 from the veeam server to the virtualization manager to check connectivity. [Test Connection the PC Client is trying to reach the Engine Portal in port 54322, and 54323 (Image I/O Proxy).
Confirmed in engine-config, that ImageTransferProxyEnabled is set to False.]

engine-config -s "ImageTransferProxyEnabled=false"
systemctl restart ovirt-engine

Have you set up a proxy for internet browsing on the virtualization manager?
I am attaching the KB for the necessary ports.

Ports - Veeam Backup for Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager and Red Hat Virtualization

please let me know. Thank you

Comment