Automatically create vSphere roles to use with Veeam ONE

• 7 February 2022
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Based on my original script from 2020 where I created a vCenter role for Veeam Backup & Replication with PowerCLI, I decided to do the same for Veeam ONE. You can find the other script for VBR here:

As a result the blog post here with the new script was born !

This PowerShell / PowerCLI script lets you create a new vCenter server role with all the cumulative privileges and permissions to use them with Veeam ONE V11.

The privileges used are based on the recommendations out of the Veeam Help Center which you can find here: Connection to Virtualization Servers

Simply execute the script and follow the steps to fill in the relevant data. Most importantly your vCenter server name, the username and your password. The script will then ask you to choose a name for your new role and automatically creates it.

The script in action :D

After you have created the role you need to assign a user to it. As a result, continue within Veeam ONE where you add your vCenter Server.

Veeam ONE vCenter “add”
The process to add vCenter servers or virtualization servers in general is described here: Connecting VMware vSphere Servers

Furthermore, feel free to give me feedback on this script, as I want to further improve it ! And if you have more ideas on automating Veeam related product roles in vCenter feel free to reach out, we can quickly adapt those scripts :)

You can read about this on my blog as well: https://www.virtualhome.blog/2022/02/07/vcenter-role-for-veeam-one-with-powercli/

The script itself can be found on Github: Creating a new vCenter server role with cumulative privileges and permissions to use with Veeam ONE V11

As always, I appreciate your time on reading this post and have a great day !

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Great, thanks Falko!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks for sharing!:bow:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Great. It is as useful as your other script. :sunglasses::thumbsup_tone3:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Great information @falkob and thank you very much for sharing...

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thank you guys ! Feel free to give feedback or of course do a pull request on Github :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Another great script.  Time to test this one too. :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Great @falkob 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I’ll give a try in test, very nice! @falkob 

Comment