Veeam Collection for Ansible: v12.1 support

• 20 February 2024
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Support for the v12.1 (VBR/EM) is now available in the Veeam Collection for Ansible!

Veeam Backup & Replication 12.1 is an incredible release jam-packed with goodies! Among those is a brand new process for installing & upgrading Veeam Backup & Replication, Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager, and the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.

I’m happy to report this collection fully supports this process!

Please review the below changelog for more detailed changes in this release:

Breaking Changes

• Changed default ISO checksum algorithm from SHA256 to SHA1
    • As Veeam’s website doesn’t provide SHA256 checksum, this only made sense to change.

Major Changes

• Added support for new silent install process available in version 12.1
  • Added support for new silent install process available in version 12.1
  • Added support for Veeam Backup & Replication Console 12.1 install
  • Added support for Veeam Backup & Replication Console 12.1 upgrade

Minor Changes

• Updated ISO to version 12.1
  • Updated logic for ISO download
    • As this is a long running process, Ansible will now provide you an update every 30 seconds if the download is complete.
  • Added support for specifying install directory for 12.1 and later
  • Added support for installing VBR plugins for 12.1 and later
  • Updated ansible-lint - Now using ansible-lint 6.22.2
  • Updated collection dependencies - Validated this collection supports the latest stable version of dependencies (ansible.windows/community.windows)

Bugfixes

• Fixed lint errors - Made necessary changes to conform with current best practices
  • Added retry when starting Veeam services
    • In rare cases after a reboot, Veeam services takes longer to start which resulted in a timeout. 

Deprecations

• Dropping support for installing version 10

For those not familiar with this Ansible collection, please see this blog post for an introduction.

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Awesome, thank you for sharing! this work is gold. I love the idea behind a full IAC Veeam Platform! 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This could not have come at a better time as we are starting our 12.1 upgrades today.  Will give this a go to see if I can speed things up.  Thanks for sharing this one Chris.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Wow!..nice share @Chris.Arceneaux !! Was working with Ansible a bit last summer..it’s no joke; and imo not a real easy code to work with. Appreciate the efforts!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Wow!..nice share @Chris.Arceneaux !! Was working with Ansible a bit last summer..it’s no joke; and imo not a real easy code to work with. Appreciate the efforts!

Thx! 😁

It’s MUCH easier than other platforms that require coding in Ruby. Another pro is it’s one of the few Infrastructure as Code tools that supports PowerShell natively. I’d say the hardest part is learning the file structure and how it all fits together.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“I’d say the hardest part is learning the file structure and how it all fits together.” ← yeah..I think I can agree with this. Thanks Chris.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Awesome job,

I really value the contributions to the community because I know the effort and time it takes to create and maintain them.

Appreciate the effort!! 🤓

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Great job, congrats @Chris.Arceneaux ! 👏🏼

Comment