VUG USA Ideas

• 10 January 2024
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

We are looking for your help. We are getting ready for a virtual VUG. And not the User Groups you’ve been used to, but the good old fashion community-minded events that I remember when I was just a wide-eyed Veeam admin. Where topics we called out by the audience and written on a whiteboard, a sheet, or typed into a note. Then smart people at Veeam and other liked-mined admins discussed and demoed. And this is exactly what we are looking to recreate this in the USA VUG.

So, our ask.
What are some topics you’d like to see? What are the features you’d like to dive into? What are the problems that just haven’t been covered in other forums? Do you want to discuss the upgrade vs migrate? File vs block repo? Windows vs Linux? Maybe just, what do my decisions in Veeam today mean for the long-term? Let us know?

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Looking forward to any of those topics Zane 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

BTW...I’ve been on a Linux kick the past yr, so that has my vote. Also, perusing new v12.1 features with demos (malware scan, YARA scans) would be neat as well.

Userlevel 1

My 2 cents...

Calculating retention and required storage requirements when using Veeam B&R.  Maybe someone could dumb it down for those of us (me) who struggle.

Consider Demo’ing SureBackup for both VM’s and Physical servers

Care and feeding of on prem Linux Immutable setups (not the Veeam created one but the original, if there is any difference), for me I semi-regularly run Sudo apt-get upgrade and process, is there anything else I should worry about?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I am not in the US but seeing things like the Yara stuff in the new 12.1 would be great and I know it will be addressed in the next CP1 update but how to update the VHR from using the ISO might be interesting for those that have used it.  Discussing the Windows vs Linux might be an interesting topic as well now that you can have most roles on Linux - Proxy, Repo, Tape.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Azure immutable backups. Currently I use the sequence: Veeam backup (to immutable linux repo’s) → Backup copy (to non-immutable linux SOBR performance tier) → Azure (non-immutable capacity tier). 

The regular backups… we keep 15days on-site so I created brand new Linux repo’s made them immutable and changed the backup jobs around. After 15 days, i decommissioned the old backup repo’s. 

The SOBR contains all our weekly/monthly/yearly backups. I don’t have the extra storage to just create new ones. Can I convert the existing to immutable? What if something goes wrong? Did I just loose all my long-term backups? 

Azure: I understand I cannot convert, need to create new (per kb4416?). Then… I add this new, immutable azure storage account to the capacity tier into the existing to my SOBR configuration to have a mixed non-immutable / immutable configuration? Do I need to create a new SOBR? Do I replace the non-immutable capacity tier/Azure storage with the immutable one? But then what happens to the old one? 

Badge

Two topics for me:

1. Best practices for snapping large multi-TB VMs, especially ones with most of the data in a single disk/VMDK. Bonus points for tips that include Data Domain repositories.
  2. Factors for deciding when to go from the local database on the backup server to a separate SQL server, beyond the number of VMs protected.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I am not in the US but seeing things like the Yara stuff in the new 12.1 would be great and I know it will be addressed in the next CP1 update but how to update the VHR from using the ISO might be interesting for those that have used it.  Discussing the Windows vs Linux might be an interesting topic as well now that you can have most roles on Linux - Proxy, Repo, Tape.

We are hoping to build a contribution to be used across NA. So the input is welcomed

All things related to new 12.1 security features as well as enhancements to long-standing malware scanning. In particular, deep-dive into how they work and nuances such as false positives and how to investigate and work with the signals provided.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

One of the user group topics I loved from way long ago, and I’d love to see updated is how a user schedules their backup jobs. End to end logic of their business and the Veeam config.

Comment