Solved

Veeam Agent for Windows name change?

Userlevel 1

I have a 5-instance Veeam license. The only tool I use is the “Veem Agent for Windows”. I have a 6th computer that isn’t used very often and I backup infrequently - once every couple of months. I have been using the “Veem Agent for Windows” free edition for that. Lately there’s a notice about a new version available - I’m currently using a v5 version. When I try to download the new version, I always get a message about the download being “corrupt”. So I went looking for the download, and can’t find anything for the “Veem Agent for Windows” anymore. Has this been renamed? 

icon

Best answer by dloseke 21 June 2023, 00:41

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can get it on this page - https://www.veeam.com/downloads.html?ad=top-sub-menu

Userlevel 1

Is the “trial” version the same as the “free” version - e.g., can it be used beyond the 14-day trial period?

I’m confused because on this page https://www.veeam.com/vm-backup-recovery-replication-software.html?ad=menu-products it indicates “Today, Veeam Backup & Replication protects all of the following workloads with Veeam Universal License (VUL)” - included in the features is “Veeam Agents for Microsoft Windows”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

The name has not changed for the Veeam Agent.  Veeam Backup & Replication, Availability Suite, etc has been changed to the Veeam Data Platform with it’s various editions, but Veeam Agent remains a separate/included component of the Veeam Data Platform.  Community Edition would be the technical term for the free edition.  I’m not sure about the 14 day trial unless that’s something where it gives full functionality for 14 days vs a slighly limited functionality after the 14 days of community edition or something like that - I can’t say for certain since I’ve not used Community Edition for some time.  You should be able to get CE at the following link which is generally the same link Chris provided.

https://www.veeam.com/downloads.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are you wanting to use VBR with VAW, or just the VAW @bertsirkin ? At Chris’s link, there is a ‘tab’ you can click that says “Free/Community”. You can scroll down to the VAW and download it. If you want to use VBR, you can download the ‘Community’ edition (it’s free). You can backup up to 10 instances. It does include VAW as well. Veeam created a great edition ‘comparison guide’, which you can view here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“I’m confused because on this page it indicates...” @bertsirkin - what that means is you can manage your VAW backups via VBR (Veeam Server), i.e. Veeam Data Platform Community Edition. Or, you can use the Agent on its own, on the device you’re wanting to backup. Hope that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Are you wanting to use VBR with VAW, or just the VAW @bertsirkin ? At Chris’s link, there is a ‘tab’ you can click that says “Free/Community”. You can scroll down to the VAW and download it. If you want to use VBR, you can download the ‘Community’ edition (it’s free). You can backup up to 10 instances. It does include VAW as well. Veeam created a great edition ‘comparison guide’, which you can view here.

Thanks for pointing that out...forgot that you have to select the proper Community Edition tab.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

One last note → the ‘free’ editions do not require a key. But of course they have limited capabilities. In the response email Veeam sends after download, you can attain a ‘trial key’ which enables full functionality for 30 days; after which if you don’t purchase, you’ll lose those enhanced feature sets which got enabled with the key.

Userlevel 1

Thanks everyone. I missed that “Free/Community” tab on the download page!

bert

Comment