Solved

How to remove .vib and .vbk files without affecting job

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 2 comments

Hi there,

I am new to Veeam.  I created and completed my first backup job and I’d like to now remove a specific .vbk file and a specific .vib file from that completed job.  Is this even possible?  I looked into the Remove-VBRBackupFile command  but it seems to relate to “missing” backup files, which is not the case.

Thank you!

-sul.

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 19 July 2023, 21:25

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you do remove a .vbk and/or .vib file, you would have an incomplete retention chain, thus making restores not possible, which you don’t wanna do. Is this just for testing/playing with?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Please dont do it manually from the disk. There are options available in the user interface. A guide is here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/delete_backup_from_disk.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you want to remove files the best way is reduce the retention points you are keeping and let Veeam do it for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge

If you do remove a .vbk and/or .vib file, you would have an incomplete retention chain, thus making restores not possible, which you don’t wanna do. Is this just for testing/playing with?

Thank you coolsport00!  Completely appreciate the warning and implication. Yes, you’re right, it’s for testing/experimenting at this point as I dive into Veeam head on.  Alternatively, I know I can shorten retention but wondering if there is a manual way as well.

best-

-s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Follow the link above from Rasmus ☝️

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks I did earlier.  Just not seeing a way to selectively remove .vbk and .vib files.  Seems to me, the method stated will delete the entire job and all the files within.  I could be wrong though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks I did earlier.  Just not seeing a way to selectively remove .vbk and .vib files.  Seems to me, the method stated will delete the entire job and all the files within.  I could be wrong though.

It probably does.  The only way to remove those files is via explorer but then the VBM file gets out of sync and breaks the chain as noted.  I know you are testing but better to do it the correct way to start off.  😎

Comment