Solved

Veeam backup and replication error port 2500

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I had some errors on a Veeam Backup and Replication 11.0.1.1261 (latest): 
Backup from a dedicated backup server and the target is a physical windows machine that uses Veeam Agent 5.0.1.4584 (latest) 

Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond %IPADRESS%:2500

Backup job is managed by Backup server.
Port 2500 is opened in both directions, and  Kaspbersky Security is used and the Veeam processes are whitelisted. Have applied several fixes from the forums but the problem keeps occuring when backup is made from this specific machine only. And the first run is often faulty but when executed a second run it works without any errors.

This text is from nov 1st, i have updated the software to the latest and problem still occurs. 
the NAS and the backup object are online all the time and on same subnet. 

thanks

icon

Best answer by Kevin McDonnell 25 November 2021, 10:08

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 1

Port 2500 is just the starting port, depending on the number or actions being carried out the server may need quite a few above that. Try opening it up a bit, say 2500 to 3000.

Make sure the othe required ports are open too, see this guide.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/agents/used_ports.html?ver=110

Please reply to say how it goes.

Userlevel 1

Port 2500 is just the starting port, depending on the number or actions being carried out the server may need quite a few above that. Try opening it up a bit, say 2500 to 3000.

Make sure the othe required ports are open too, see this guide.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/agents/used_ports.html?ver=110

Please reply to say how it goes.

Hi Kevin,
I have followed that guide and opened the port range in the firewalls 2500-3000 on both the backup server and the target that the backup agent is running on.

I have another server on same network that runs without problems but this specific server sometimes have this problem. When the job is executed later with a retry it works without problems.
This server do have an ancient OS and compatibility might be the issue here i guess.
I have followed every guide regarding this and even changed the hosting port.
Don’t know what to do more regarding this recurring issue. 1/10th backup this error occurs during a long period of many windows updates, reboots and Veeam Backup & Replication updates as well.
The Agents are updates as well after each server application upgrade.

Badge

I get the same error message trying to backup my Windows 10 Client with a VBR v11A Server. 

Does anyone has got a solution for that error message ? 

Thanks and kind regards,
Rudi

Any update on this? I have 4 out of 6 workstations that are giving me the same error. Firewall is open on all ports. 2 of the workstations work fine except for the 4. Same Subnet and nothing change on the machines (no even updates)

I get the same error too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It’s hard to guess what the cause for the connection problem could be. Check with ressource monitor or “netstat -abo” if there’s actually a Veeam process listening on that port. If so, try to connect to this port, for example via powershell “Test-NetConnection -ComputerName X.X.X.X -Port 2500”. If this test succeeds, it could be a problem related to Veeam, if it fails, you have a different problem (network, firewall,OS).

I was able to get this to work with the following:

Check ALL(and i do mean all) your backup servers and proxy servers if they can your network storage device and make sure you don't have any interrupted network configurations.
in some of my network settings my NIC was missing the default gateway settings on the proxy server making my replication get the error port 2500 can't be accessed.

But if was the internal proxies having this error and not the remote proxies. But i am going to put everything to the test and see if this is the actual solution for my port-2500 error i was getting

hi , isame have problem when credintaial faild error when rescanin add server in veeam backup  in firewall ports2500-3000 now is open .please help me giftmax

It’s hard to guess what the cause for the connection problem could be. Check with ressource monitor or “netstat -abo” if there’s actually a Veeam process listening on that port. If so, try to connect to this port, for example via powershell “Test-NetConnection -ComputerName X.X.X.X -Port 2500”. If this test succeeds, it could be a problem related to Veeam, if it fails, you have a different problem (network, firewall,OS).

Test-NetConnection does not work in this case. The repo server only listens on 2500 if it is running a backup job. I currently have a repo server online and functional that fails the test for 2500. I went down this road during implementation and found out this troubleshooting process doesn’t work. The only way I was able to test 2500 was when a job is running.

I am using the Hardened Repository though, so that could be why my machine doesn’t listen on 2500 to 3300 all the time.

21.01.2024 17:04:20 :: Error: Failed to connect to agent 'DCVeam', EP 'xx.xx.xx.xx:2500'. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond xx.xx.xx.xx:2500 

Friends, I open the ports via Fortigate, but I cannot get a backup from the agents in other locations, it gives this error and the ports are open.

I'm almost going crazy :(:(

Comment