Question

restoring from an

• 21 February 2023
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 1

Hi

I have a few backup jobs run through the VBR console, they are agent backup jobs that backup files of domain machines, the jobs run without a problem

I have just removed the backup server from the domain onto a workgroup

I am facing an issue now whereby when I try to restore files, they are failing. whilst Im not yet certain where log files for restore jobs are held I think the failure is related to permissions. I am trying to restore the files onto the local workgroup machine and not the original location

when the backups are taken you can supply the credentials for access, however I think the restores just run under the content of whatever is running the console, which is a local account in my case. I cant see any way to supply credentials for restore specifically or maybe I am just getting a little bit muddled 

I would be grateful if something spring to mind for anyone

thanks!

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello @comical ,
can you post the error message you get here?

The restore logs are in the following path:
C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup and then in a folder named like the backup job

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

When you removed it from the domain did you change the credentials for the servers affected?

Backup Infrastructure > Managed Servers > Microsoft Windows (Or Linux if you use them)

Userlevel 4
Badge

If you select ‘Run As’ from the right-click context menu when starting Backup & Replication console it’ll make a difference to the access you have when performing a restoration.  i.e. run as administrator

If that doesn’t work then you should wipe your permissions from the data drive when you’ve stored your backup files.  I think the former suggestion should work for you though.  On Windows 2019 you can set the shortcut to always run as administrator so that helps avoid this if you’re running into the problem regularly. 

Userlevel 1

Hi 

thanks for the reply, Im just running it again and then I will hunt for the logs to get them for you 

the last run, the only error was ‘job has failed unexpectedly’ in the console

Userlevel 1

If you select ‘Run As’ from the right-click context menu when starting Backup & Replication console it’ll make a difference to the access you have when performing a restoration.  i.e. run as administrator

If that doesn’t work then you should wipe your permissions from the data drive when you’ve stored your backup files.  I think the former suggestion should work for you though.  On Windows 2019 you can set the shortcut to always run as administrator so that helps avoid this if you’re running into the problem regularly. 

thank you

Userlevel 4
Badge

did it work? 

Userlevel 1

Hello @comical ,
can you post the error message you get here?

The restore logs are in the following path:
C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup and then in a folder named like the backup job

thank you, I looked through those logs and couldn’t see any specific error detailed

so far I haven't seen the unexpected message so far, it may have been possibly just a remnant from moving it to a workgroup where everything was set up correctly

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When the restore is failing, then there have to be some error messages….

In which step the restore is failing? Are you restoring to a Windows or Linux system?

Do you have screenshots of the error?

When you don’t see the error anymore, are you now restoring from a backup that was made after moving to the workgroup?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @comical 

Restoring Files from Backup without Administrator Privileges

If you have Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows installed on your computer and you work on this computer under an account that does not have Administrator privileges, you can still restore files from the file-level backup.

This scenario describes how to restore a file from the backup under an account that does not have local administrator permissions to its original location.

Before restoring, check the following prerequisites:

• Your Veeam Agent computer must be a member of a protection group for which file-level restore without Administrator privileges is allowed. To learn more, see Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Settings.
  • You must restore from the backup created by a backup job managed by Veeam Agent. To learn more, see Selecting Job Mode.
  • You must restore from the backup stored on Veeam backup repository or Veeam Cloud Connect repository.
  • You must restore from the backup of the same Veeam Agent computer.
  • You must open the restore wizard from the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows control panel.

Comment