Backing up Oracle RAC VM's

Performing a cold backup of RAC nodes without changing disk parameters.

6 comments

Hi

I use Esxi as a lab for my Oracle VM’s , research and development etc.

Veeam cannot process the RAC VM virtual disks as they are both shared/multi writer and independent persistent disks. Yes , I can backup the databases , but RAC has a huge amount of config on the system disk etc.

My solution, albeit a partial non Production solution is to create a new VM , and add the disks used by the RAC Cluster VM,s I then modify the new VM to change the disks to non multi writer , dependent disks. 

This VM will never be started , it will remain shutdown. But I can back it up, if I shutdown the parent RAC VM’s. The shutdown and startup is performed by pre and post backup scripts.

Script contents

c:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH\ssh -v -i c:\users\****\.ssh\id_rsa.pub  -E c:\scripts\shutdown_onedisks_ssh.log -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no root@*******.localdomain  "vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms | grep RACONEDISK1 | grep -v RACONEDISK1DR | cut -d ' ' -f1 | while read id ; do vim-cmd vmsvc/power.shutdown $id ; done >//vmfs/volumes/SCRATCH/scripts/shutdown_onedisks.log 2>&1" > shutdown_onedisks.log

(MY RAC cluster is 2 node/ 2 VMs , booting off one disk , which has two boot partitions and many partitions for  ASM disks for OCR/VOTE/DATA/FRA/OH etc - a single 300GB vmdk used by two VM’s...)

Repeat for all nodes in the cluster.

It’s a cold backup , involves loss of service etc , but scheduled during the night , it does not affect me.

In case you are an Oracle DBA using ESXi and need to backup a RAC cluster so you don't have to spend a lot of time to re-install / re-configure etc, I hope this method will work for you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

It’s good to share, but you’d be helping the whole community by posting in one of these threads instead.

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob, my first post, still getting to know my way around.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

No worries. It’s not very obvious, but the Veeam user community is split into multiple websites. The forums.veeam.com is always the best place to start (if you haven’t already logged a call with Support), followed by the individual VUG’s.

There’s also some bits and pieces on Github as well, although Veeam are trying to move it in-house instead - https://community.veeam.com/script-library-67

Hope that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thank you 😎 Very interesting post.

The community is a good place to post this. You could use one of the categories “Script Library" or “Blogs and Podcasts" for such content.

You can post it additional in the forums 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Interesting post for sure but as noted by Joe maybe the script library section. ☝️. Welcome to the community.

Comment