Question

performance issue veeam 12 vmware/storage snapshot (primera)

Userlevel 1

Hi

since 2 weeks we have introduced a new backup server with veeam 12.
We have direct storage access to our hpe primera san storage. the configured backup jobs using the secondary storage system (remote copy peer persistance).
But the full backup job for 4TB is taking up to 75h. While NBD is going much faster.

Anyone having the same problem? Maybe bug/issue in Veeam 12?

We have another backup server using Veeam 11. We are using off-host backup for our hyper-v environment, and using the same storage. There we have nog issues with the performance of the off-host backups.

6 comments

Badge +4

the slow backup, is it also on hyper-V? 

Userlevel 1

No on hyper-v normal in combination with veeam 11 normal backup times

Badge +4

I think your partner (as you do the V12 on vmware through vcsp) is supposed to pick this up. But this is slow indeed. 

Does not sound like a bug… It is just too slow…
I suspect the “network” to be a bottleneck… meaning it is doing some loops somewhere where it is not supposed to go.

If not, ask your partner that did the setup (as it is done in vcsp) and let them create a ticket to fix it. this should go faster... 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

What’s indicated as bottleneck on this job ? Proxy ? Network ? ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Sabrina Dom : also check that the V12 VBR (and proxy if the VBR is not themselves the proxy) is correct configured regarding the network-configuration. Don’t use 2 default gateways for example. Perhaps checking the speed between the proxy and storage using perfmon to see what is the performance and compare that with the V11 VBR in combination with the same storage.

Userlevel 1

our partner is looking into the problem together with Veeam support.

@Nico Losschaert the proxy is the same as the backup server. We only have 1 gateway.
Our partner is performing a data read performance test between the proxy and storage, i’m waiting for the results.
Thanks for the reply and tips

Comment