Sharing Content: Saying goodbye to PaaS and IaaS

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I read an article this morning and I instantly felt a little seen and can relate to so much that is said in this article. 

https://www.cncf.io/blog/2023/07/26/saying-goodbye-to-paas-and-iaas/ 

I am not convinced that we are seeing a bulk goodbye to PaaS and IaaS, It is just not something we do as an industry. Hands up if you are still running physical servers in your companies that could easily be virtual machines or migrated to the cloud? Also do you think your Database Administrators are going to let this just happen… nope! 

But a lot was very applicable and close to home for me as I am still very much on my learning journey. 

I won’t spoil it but I hope you can all take a look and see what you think? 

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Interesting article there. You’re right we don’t typically say goodbye to technologies in the industry (how long has tape been ‘dead’ for now?) The truth is that we find benefits and drawbacks to every technology. This is why we still can see services running on physical servers instead of all virtual. Anything timing sensitive such as network traffic or telephony will have a better result running on physical vs virtual, but at the trade off of the loss of virtualisation management and ease of reconfiguration.

I see the same happening with Kubernetes, we’ll see this enable new methods of consumption, but not all workloads will need to adapt to Kubernetes. Will we see services such as Active Directory used within Kubernetes? Sure it’s possible, but what benefits vs drawbacks would it bring.

As with any technology, we’ll learn lessons along the way of unexpected dependencies, chicken & egg scenarios etc that will allow us to ask the right questions on evaluating the platform for our workloads. But just like with virtualisation, I do expect the architecting question to transitionfrom “why should we use Kubernetes” to “why should we not use Kubernetes”, just like virtualisation before it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sometimes license conditions are the reason why a physical server “survives”.

Did you ever run an Oracle database on a VMware cluster and tried to license it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Very interesting article but not sure we can say goodbye to those services just yet.  We will have to see where things go in the future.

Comment