Getting Started with Kubernetes in vSphere VMs

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

after working through the learning.kasten.io labs I’d like to build my own little cluster inside my lab. Any recommendations on sizing the lab (number of VMs, CPU,RAM, Disk, etc) to get started?

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Interested in this too so will keep an eye on this thread. 👀

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Do you consider to install Tanzu?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Use 5 or less kubernetes nodes to be able to use K10 free version 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

after working through the learning.kasten.io labs I’d like to build my own little cluster inside my lab. Any recommendations on sizing the lab (number of VMs, CPU,RAM, Disk, etc) to get started?

Really depends on what you are doing. Obviously kasten and some mysql wordpress workloads I would want more.  I am running a k3s cluster on a dell chrome book. Where things get tricky are that you need to use resource requests and limits inside deployments themselves as it can affect scheduling. 

I would personally stay away from Tanzu or other distributions that have added a lot of addon operators in the beginning. Better to start with the core kubeadm and then once you get that move on to distributions. Just my humble opinion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If just for learning than single node is good. However, if you want to start looking at network policies then you would want at least another node with a CNI that supports netpolicies. For learning Kind is probably the easiest multinode setup. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I am going to do a blog on building a KIND learning cluster soon so that might be helpful. K3S is quick too and K3D which is based on that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Now if testing for backup then you need to add a CSI driver. I am also going to do a quick and dirty post on csi-hostpath soon too so that could help as well. :) 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hey Jim,

When I built my lab for testing on VMware i used 4vCPU 8GB ram and 60GB thin (3 nodes) which was more than enough to get a decent lab up and running.
https://lifesbackup.xyz/2021/04/28/the-kubernetes-journey-setup/

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey Jim,

When I built my lab for testing on VMware i used 4vCPU 8GB ram and 60GB thin (3 nodes) which was more than enough to get a decent lab up and running.
https://lifesbackup.xyz/2021/04/28/the-kubernetes-journey-setup/

Really great write-up Andre. 👍

Comment