Where to blog?

Show first post

73 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Blogging isn’t so easy! You have to be passionate about it and other things must suffer, else it …. I still believe if the main purpose is to earn money, YouTube is the fastest way to go about it, and you must be consistent… 1000 YouTube Channel sub + 4000 watch hours within the last 365 days ….….

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Can always check out a .tech domain too.  That is my blog domain. :sunglasses:

Or a .coffee

Coffee’s never enough for those who do our job.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for all the great advice. I will figure something out next week. 

cheers

Let us know! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Also a +1 for WordPress. Not long ago I did some research and compared the existing solutions, and I ended with WordPress; almost every hoster has it in its portfolio and it’s really flexible. But finally I discarded the idea of an own blog because of our great german laws...:rolling_eyes:

@regnor 

Now I am interested: what german laws are stopping you from doing this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Maybe BurkeTech.info?

What about TheBurke.engineer ? :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I assume it is the german law about the legal notice for websites. You have to write your complete address in it. At least is it this what stops me from owning a public blog.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Also a +1 for WordPress. Not long ago I did some research and compared the existing solutions, and I ended with WordPress; almost every hoster has it in its portfolio and it’s really flexible. But finally I discarded the idea of an own blog because of our great german laws...:rolling_eyes:

@regnor

Now I am interested: what german laws are stopping you from doing this?

@vNote42 

https://allaboutberlin.com/guides/website-compliance-germany

This webpage has collected all the rules. 😬

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, it is complicated :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

But an Impressum - that must include the address - is just necessary for commercial websites. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There are a bunch of lawyers that say something different :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

That’s a lot. Here in Italy the must for a blog is only “Cookies policy”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JMeixner and @Mildur are right. You need an imprint/impressum and legal texts, like a privacy policy. It's a bit of grey zone if a technical blog would be personal or commercial; it depends on which source you consult, but at the end you're recommended to have all legals parts just to be on the safe side. Even if it's not required, I don't want to spend my time arguing about it 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@JMeixnerand @Mildur are right. You need an imprint/impressum and legal texts, like a privacy policy. It's a bit of grey zone if a technical blog would be personal or commercial; it depends on which source you consult, but at the end you're recommended to have all legals parts just to be on the safe side. Even if it's not required, I don't want to spend my time arguing about it 😉

Well i did get a message when trying to purchase a domain name from google saying something about “in your country not allowed etc”, then googled :) and found it has something to do with taxes. Will investigate more again today. My plan is to post there and then link into here like I see others doing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe BurkeTech.info?

I need something more “jazzy” :) Burke is a pretty rough surname to begin with. For the Brits it is even a put down :) “don’t be a burke”, can’t remember but I got that a lot at the Embassy. Maybe @MicoolPaul can help here, does burke in the colloquial Queen’s English still have a negative connotation? :) 

So Notorious KGG sounds cool but Notorious might scare customers away (I.e he is notoriously bad :). 

Maybe “GO with GB and remain Ransomware free”!! Man this whole blogging and marketing thing is turning out to be tougher than I thought. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Maybe BurkeTech.info?

I need something more “jazzy” :) Burke is a pretty rough surname to begin with. For the Brits it is even a put down :) “don’t be a burke”, can’t remember but I got that a lot at the Embassy. Maybe @MicoolPaul can help here, does burke in the colloquial Queen’s English still have a negative connotation? :) 

So Notorious KGG sounds cool but Notorious might scare customers away (I.e he is notoriously bad :). 

Maybe “GO with GB and remain Ransomware free”!! Man this whole blogging and marketing thing is turning out to be tougher than I thought. 

It’s a weak put down don’t worry! It’s far more offensive to call someone a donkey or a wet flannel than a Burke 😆

We’ll have to come up with some ideas for your blog name!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A wet flannel? flannel is a kubernetes CNI https://github.com/flannel-io/flannel, I don’t use it though as if I remember correctly it does not support network policies. But a wet flannel? I guess as opposed to a hot calico https://www.tigera.io/project-calico/ which is my choice 🙂.. as for donkey I have been called that too, and a goat in Russian (being a goat in Russian is nicht gut!!), never understand this slant against poor goats but… 

Anyways, I feel a lot better now :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What about ITstoriesfromGeoff.com or talesfromGeoff.com? Your stories are always interesting and fun, so why not make it your blog name 😃

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What about ITstoriesfromGeoff.com or talesfromGeoff.com? Your stories are always interesting and fun, so why not make it your blog name 😃

Sounds like a good idea tho :laughing:

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Tomorrow I will make the decision :) this is going to be tough so many good ideas. Thanks Folks!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

A wet flannel? flannel is a kubernetes CNI https://github.com/flannel-io/flannel, I don’t use it though as if I remember correctly it does not support network policies. But a wet flannel? I guess as opposed to a hot calico https://www.tigera.io/project-calico/ which is my choice 🙂.. as for donkey I have been called that too, and a goat in Russian (being a goat in Russian is nicht gut!!), never understand this slant against poor goats but… 

Anyways, I feel a lot better now :) 

True, but if I called you a GOAT I’d be saying Greatest Of All Time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ideas:

Burkesblog.cloud (.com taken)

Geoffscloud.blog/com

GeniusGeoff.tech/com

Geoffandtheclouds.com/tech/blog

GeoffsAdventuresInThe.Cloud

GeoffsAdventuresIn.Tech

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Burkes.solution

Geoffs.solution

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

TheWordFromGeoff.whatever

:joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

TheWordFromGeoff.whatever

:joy:

oh, oh, copyright issues…. The lawyers are looking forward to this… :smile::smile::smile:

Comment