What is your overall experience with Veeam in a Hyper-V environment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I seem to have a lot more issues with Hyper-V that I do VMware. I was curious what you all’s overall experience is? In particular, Veeam does not seem to like clusters and I see lots of issues with checkpoint creations that pop up.

18 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’ve only heard of hyper-v issues from the community @bp4JC . I don’t use it myself; only for small testing purposes. I found it to be a clunky hypervisor on its own, aside from adding layers to it, like image-level backups. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Would love to give my opinion but don’t use Hyper-V.  The only thing I have done with it is set up a cluster for VCC-R for one of our tenants.  That is about all and it seems to work well from what I gather.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

To be honest it was not great. It was a while back but in the end we moved that CC to Vsphere. I can’t put my finger on it or remember details but everything was just rougher. Mind you that was a long time ok Hyper-V on Windows 2012 so… take with a grain of salt

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have built a Hyper-v setup for testing purposes and it is featured about like ESXI was in 5.5 or maybe 6.  but that makes sense since it is a few years less mature than VMware.  Veeam was clunky and clustering which is not the best on a good day was problematic.  

check points are as mentioned problematic but the tech is a few years behind.  if you need to improve Hyper-v you should look at SCVMM as an addon.  Think MS answer to Vcenter

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

To be honest it was not great. It was a while back but in the end we moved that CC to Vsphere. I can’t put my finger on it or remember details but everything was just rougher. Mind you that was a long time ok Hyper-V on Windows 2012 so… take with a grain of salt

Sounds about right, Geoff. I have had more problems out of it than I tend to with VMware environments. Sad.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I have built a Hyper-v setup for testing purposes and it is featured about like ESXI was in 5.5 or maybe 6.  but that makes sense since it is a few years less mature than VMware.  Veeam was clunky and clustering which is not the best on a good day was problematic.  

check points are as mentioned problematic but the tech is a few years behind.  if you need to improve Hyper-v you should look at SCVMM as an addon.  Think MS answer to Vcenter

Thank you for this suggestion!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

We have a few clients that use Hyper-V and the main issues we see are checkpoint issues.

From a SP point of view I have had no real issues with our DRaaS Hyper-V  (Fail-Over cluster) environment in the few years I've been here other than having to do some manual tidy up of machine folders on the clustered volume.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

From my personal experience, I’ve worked with Hyper-V as IT Admin, and after a couple of years, we moved all Hypervisors back to Vsphere.

It has great features, but doesn't seems to be as robust as vsphere.

If I would bet for one, I will always choose vsphere, not even other Hypervisor,

it works, has a huge and great community, support is great!

Integration with Veeam is also amazing.

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’ve had more issues with Hyper-V backups (and just Hyper-V in general) than VMware for a long time.  I should note that most of my Hyper-V servers are standalone and not in failover clusters, but it doesn’t honestly seem to matter that much.  On-host Proxy’s seem to be the way to go.  I try to have any of my clients on Hyper-V move to ESXI, but in the event that they refuse to make the change, we can still try to run backups at the VM level, but if we have any issues, we tend to move to using the Veeam Agent on the VM’s.  Backups have proven to be much more reliable for me from the agent than from Hyper-V checkpoints.  

Userlevel 2

Hyper-V is nice, but I agree that vSphere is more mature and stable. As for Veeam and Hyper-V, the main issue we had is that you need to keep track of checkpoints. We had cases, where we needed to clean checkpoints manually after Veeam. It works great for everything else, IMO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

We have a few clients that use Hyper-V and the main issues we see are checkpoint issues.

From a SP point of view I have had no real issues with our DRaaS Hyper-V  (Fail-Over cluster) environment in the few years I've been here other than having to do some manual tidy up of machine folders on the clustered volume.

I agree with Mark

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hyper-V is nice, but I agree that vSphere is more mature and stable. 

The other side of that is that Microsoft isn’t putting that much development into Hyper-V.  It’s hit sort of a steady-state where I don’t expect much to change as they focus and plan on folks running on Azure, even Azure in their own datacenter.  VMware has put a lot of focus on going to the cloud, but they don’t have their own hosting environment like Azure, so it feels less like a push to the cloud.  In fact, they feel more like Veeam’s take...build the software and find good partners that will use the software to host the services.  And that seems like a pretty good take to me.

Userlevel 1

Hi I have a question, I have a Hyper V environment which is configured for Dynamic optimisation, where the servers are migrated between various data centres. in situation like that how does Veeam manage the backup of these servers ensuring that it does not backup the VM up twice or even know how to locate the server to back it up. 

Any articles you can point me to would be appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Veeam probably uses a UID like with vSphere to track the VM no matter where it is. Here is the help section for Veeam not sure of specific documents for this - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/backup.html?ver=120

Userlevel 1

Veeam probably uses a UID like with vSphere to track the VM no matter where it is. Here is the help section for Veeam not sure of specific documents for this - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/backup.html?ver=120

Thanks for the reply I will take a look :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for the reply I will take a look :)

Not a problem at all.  I always start in Veeam help and work from there as well as the Best Practices site. 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I can’t speak with a lot of experience here but it appears to use a UUID.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/ir_vm_name_hv.html?ver=120

Userlevel 1

I can’t speak with a lot of experience here but it appears to use a UUID.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/ir_vm_name_hv.html?ver=120

Thank you :)

Comment