What is your DR temperature?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I was reading an excellent article by Randy Lee, https://www.randylee.com/misc/dr-temperatures, and wanted to see what is your DR temperature? Do the categories align to your business?

What is your range for RPO and RTO? “Who” was involved in deciding the values? When was the last time you confirmed the numbers are achievable?

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

About 70% Cold DR, 30% Warm DR.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What about the RPO and RTO ranges? Who decides these?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What about the RPO and RTO ranges? Who decides these?

This depends on the customer. Some set requirements and depending of the size of the project we build custom environments to meet these requirements. If the requirements are not achievable we will negotiate and get to reasonable values.

Other customers - mostly smaller ones - accept standard values for RPO and RTO. These clients are put on a shared environment mostly...

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

From when I was doing this my situation fits in well with what @JMeixner said. Smaller customers accepted standard values and more often than not relied on us completely for the “expertise that they were paying for” which made things easier since we could help them analyse their business and come do “doable” SLAs. Big companies often had done the ground work before hand and so we would just adjust based on experience. Some of the toughest situations I faced was when companies hired 3rd party consultants who did not know Veeam at all and they came with “this is what we want and need” end of story. There were times when they were missing out on some of the features that Veeam has because they simply were ignorant of them, other times they created mission impossible scenarios because the consultant simply created something that looked create on paper claiming that they had seen this done (not true) and then handed over to us “to get it done” :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Great read, nice @haslund 

Comment