Question

VSPC issues

Userlevel 3

Good afternoon,

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What is your issue or question?  You will need to update this post.

Userlevel 3

Right ive type this multiple times and just getting something went wrong,.

So intitally,.

should my VSPC be contactable externally? 

Userlevel 3

I have been handed the set up and i am currently upgrading and wanting to use it for it intended purpose,. i am able to conenct and use the VSCP on the machine itself,. and access it via other machines internally,. but i can’t seem to find any documentation to say how to set the VSCP up for external use, or does it just use the cloud connect gateway with the port being different

Set up is VSPC & B&R on 1 server with a LAN IP,. which is then filter through a dedicated sonicwall which ahs the public IP on

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

VSPC should be accessible from anywhere. You will have to configure the ports correctly specifically TCP/UDP port 1280. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vac/deployment/ports.html?ver=70

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I would also suggest a distributed installation with the WebUI server(s) separate from your main VSPC server especially if it is also a B&R server. 

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vac/deployment/install_onprem_distributed.html?ver=70

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Right ive type this multiple times and just getting something went wrong,.

So intitally,.

should my VSPC be contactable externally? 

Yes, you can set it up to be available from outside your organization.  As per here -

Accessing Veeam Service Provider Console - Veeam Service Provider Console Guide for End Users

Userlevel 3

thank you for all of the linkes,. i have just got in from work, but will give these a read and review tonight,. i am finding veeam extremley interesting. as in previous job i use symatics but was only on local LAN so been learning veeam and cloud back up quite intensively over the past year, improving what we have to offer for a better customer experience 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

As others noted, yes, you’ll want to be able to access it externally.  That’s mostly the point...so that remote agents can contact the VCC/SPC for job management, backing up data, etc.  You don’t necessarily need to have clients access the portal themselves if you don’t want to have self-service or don’t have resellers, etc, but you’ll want those remote systems to contact the console.

Also, yes, setting up as a distributed configuration is a good idea if you will need to scale or are hosting backups as a service provider.  For me, I *mostly* use it to manage my client’s remote VBR deployments and for reporting.  I also use it to backup their configuration databases in the event that they don’t have a secondary site or VCC target that they are paying for where they can land their config database backups.  I have my SPC/VCC/Gateway all on one server right now, but I built it with the intention that I can scale out to additional VCC’s if needed.  One thing I learned is that there is a VPSC Management Agent that get’s installed on any machines that are connected to it, be it a Veeam Agent for Windows or Linux, VBR, VBM365, etc.  Even the VCC server’s run the agent to talk to the SPC, even if the VCC is on the same server as the SPC.

Read through those links folks have provided plus the two below that I have link on the architecture and check back if you have any questions!

Veeam Service Provider Console Deployment Guide

Veeam Service Provider Console Guide for Service Providers

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

...One thing I learned is that there is a VPSC Management Agent that get’s installed on any machines that are connected to it, be it a Veeam Agent for Windows or Linux, VBR, VBM365, etc.  Even the VCC server’s run the agent to talk to the SPC, even if the VCC is on the same server as the SPC.

It’s very important when using the console to not confuse the Management Agent with the Backup Agent in the Discovered Computers section or you will end up deploying the Backup Agent to computers that don’t need it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

It’s very important when using the console to not confuse the Management Agent with the Backup Agent in the Discovered Computers section or you will end up deploying the Backup Agent to computers that don’t need it.

There’s a bit of a curve there until you fully understand it.  I’m finally getting used to it now that I’ve been diving deeper into the SPC.

Userlevel 3

Hi all,

just an update from myself,. I opened all the ports on the sonicwall to allow to the server and i can now access the VSPC as required,.

We do have clients that manage their own systems (come to us for the license). I am wanting to push this to resellers eventually but need to understand the system first.

My next 2 hurdles,. are certificates so clents dont get prompted about ti being insecure,. i have tried the in built veeam cert but still get this when browsing, will do bit more research on this

Comment