VMware vCenter Converter no longer available

Userlevel 7
Badge +12
  • On the path to Greatness
  • 1273 comments

Today I’ve discovered an interesting blog article about the VMware vCenter Converter. Apparently VMware has removed it from the Downloads, so it’s no longer available for the public. The reasons for this is, that there hasn’t been any development in the last years and it already went end of support in Decemter 2019 (!), which I didn’t know.

VMware is working on a new release of the Converter and it will be exciting to see how the next release will look like and what it’s capable of.

Here’s the blog post for reference: https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2022/02/vcenter-converter-unavailable-for-download.html

While the vCenter Converter was a great piece of software which I’ve used many times in my IT career, I haven’t used it since some time. The last times I had to convert physical systems or VMs to a different Hypervisor, I’ve had the luck that those customers were using Veeam. So instead of relying on the Converter or a different 3rd party tool, I restored the system with Veeam. This works very well, the source/backup is in a consistent state and it’s much faster then any converter.

How do you handle such tasks and have you used Veeam to convert physical systems before?

27 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

WHAT. That statement on blog is nonsense. BUT.

In a very legacy enviroiment, with veeam you can easely do an Agent-backup and then a recovery inside a VM as baremetal recovery using iso created from original machine. Long process, it works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

WHAT. That statement on blog is nonsense. BUT.

In a very legacy enviroiment, with veeam you can easely do an Agent-backup and then a recovery inside a VM as baremetal recovery using iso created from original machine. Long process, it works.

The statement is officially from VMware!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you very much for sharing @regnor. I have rarely used this tool in recent years. Due to curiosity, I am looking forward to their new release.. Glad, Veeam does all doable :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

R.I.P VMware Converter! We will miss you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

VMware Converter is a great tool for P2V conversion. @regnor Thanks for sharing. Did anyone use the VMware converter boot CD for P2V conversion? I have used both VMware converter boot CD and vCenter converter standalone. I am looking forward to the new release!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sharing.  This was a surprise for sure as this tool came in handy back in the day.  Maybe someone will have a copy and upload it somewhere for people to grab. :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks for sharing.  This was a surprise for sure as this tool came in handy back in the day.  Maybe someone will have a copy and upload it somewhere for people to grab. :smiley:

I have the VMware Converter installation files and kept into my NAS. Anyone want it, please tell me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@marcofabbri Which statement do you mean?

@victorwu There was a Converter boot CD? I really don't remember that 😅

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I did not really have good experiences with VMware converter to be honest. I can’t remember what the issues were though. Maybe just my crooked hands :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I ended up doing bare metal restores from agent backups and now of course you could leverage instant restore to vsphere :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’m still waiting on that new release of Cold Clone utility.  I think the one I have is from 2006?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I got that communication from VMware Official email id.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@marcofabbriWhich statement do you mean?

@victorwuThere was a Converter boot CD? I really don't remember that 😅

Remove the actual download until new release (when?).

They could leave legacy version downloadable with a warning of end-of-support, than remove it.

I feel sorry for all sysadmin who need converter and didn’t download and saved before that statement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

VMware Converter is a great tool for P2V conversion. @regnor Thanks for sharing. Did anyone use the VMware converter boot CD for P2V conversion? I have used both VMware converter boot CD and vCenter converter standalone. I am looking forward to the new release!

I’ve always preferred hot conversion with the installer from inside machine. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@regnor

VMware Converter Boot CD - cold clone migration

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone - hot clone migration. It supports the Synchronize changes during P2V migration if the source host is the Windows platform.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@regnor

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone - hot clone migration. It supports the Synchronize changes during P2V migration if the source host is the Windows platform.

I still have this on my device. I will create a guide on it this weekend and reference the new tool VMware is working on whenever they release it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@regnor

I still have this on my device. I will create a guide on it this weekend and reference the new tool VMware is working on whenever they release it. 

@Iams3le Please kindly share it to us after you complete the guide.:grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@marcofabbri Perhaps there are/were some issues which they couldn't fix and so they decided to take it down?

@victorwu Cold migration will probably be the most stable/consistent one. I personally have never seen the converter boot CD but let's hope VMware releases a new one.

I’ve used the boot and local converter many times, how sad! In the other hand, Veeam does a pretty good job converting and virtualising!

I will miss you VMware converter!

keep growing and growing my Veeam’s faith!

:wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@marcofabbriPerhaps there are/were some issues which they couldn't fix and so they decided to take it down?

@victorwuCold migration will probably be the most stable/consistent one. I personally have never seen the converter boot CD but let's hope VMware releases a new one.

@regnor VMware does not release vCenter converter boot CD after vSphere 5.x. That why you have never seen it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Question about Converter - when was the last time anyone has used it? I’m curious as to the responses. I bet it’s been well over 10yrs...at a minimum..the last time I’ve used it. It’s main purpose was really, in the early virtualization adoption days, to get people away from the ‘physical world’ and move your infrastructure/apps to virtual (VMware).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh, there are still customers with many physical server nowadays which can be virtualized.

I have on of them at the moment and I think I will virtualize quite a number of servers with Veeam :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Interesting :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Interesting :) 

Hey, Germany is a developing country… :joy::joy::joy:

@victorwu Id really appreciate a copy of the vmware P2V converter…

Comment