Solved

#VMCE Pop quiz of the day: 2021-06-14

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Happy Monday! :grinning:

I’ll try and post a little pop quiz question each day, hope to hear from many of you. Did you know the answer? Did you look it up in the documentation? Did you try it in a lab? Please share some details along with your answer.

Are there any limitations to any type of job or policy on length or characters allowed? Which job/policy tops? What are they, if any?

icon

Best answer by Nico Losschaert 14 June 2021, 15:33

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I am not surprised, I am the first trying to answer this question :wink:  I personally do not like such questions for exams. From my perspective they are just not relevant to practice!

Length: I think it is about 260 characters.

Characters allowed: since 9.5 U1: double-byte support. Unsupported characters should be replaced by “_”. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The 260 characters limitation I have found, too. But you can extent the 260 character limitation in Windows registry. Veeam itself does not have this limitation….

Did not find an general overview about limitations at first search….

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For Job Filters, the length of a new Filter name in the working area has a 200-character limit, as noted here.

There is another character limit I found: the name of the Azure Proxy appliance cannot be more than 15-characters long, as noted here.

And, passwords used for Encryption must be at least 8-characters long.

Not sure if those are what you’re looking for Rasmus, but all I could find. Nothing definitive about a b/u, repl, copy, etc job name. Agree with you @vNote42 about the relevancy of such a question for an exam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@haslund , personally I don’t like using backup jobs using spaces. As a best practice I don’t use spaces. Why? When you have to move manually files to or from a scale-out backup repository, you have to rename those files : annoying. More info : KB2236: Manually moving backup files to or from a Scale-Out Backup Repository (veeam.com)

So I recommended using following allowed characters : 

• Allowed alphanumeric characters: a-z, A-Z, 0-9
  • Allowed special characters: _ - . + = @ ^
  • The path and .VBM file must not contain spaces. If the path or the .VBM file contain spaces, replace them with underscores.

As a max. length : 260 characters as others already mentioned, but I don’t find it as official in the helpcenter where it should be ;-)

Also don’t use use reserved names as a naming convention : Naming Conventions - Veeam Backup Guide for Hyper-V

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

BTW: Avoid to rename Veeam Jobs! To be honest, I do not know current state, but it was not recommended in the past (at least incl 9.5!). Some items get renamed, others are not. For example, directories are not! After a while you see new and old names simultaneous in console. Very confusing! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I fully agree with @vNote42 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@haslund , personally I don’t like using backup jobs using spaces. As a best practice I don’t use spaces. Why? When you have to move manually files to or from a scale-out backup repository, you have to rename those files : annoying. More info : KB2236: Manually moving backup files to or from a Scale-Out Backup Repository (veeam.com)

So I recommended using following allowed characters : 

• Allowed alphanumeric characters: a-z, A-Z, 0-9
  • Allowed special characters: _ - . + = @ ^
  • The path and .VBM file must not contain spaces. If the path or the .VBM file contain spaces, replace them with underscores.

As a max. length : 260 characters as others already mentioned, but I don’t find it as official in the helpcenter where it should be ;-)

Also don’t use use reserved names as a naming convention : Naming Conventions - Veeam Backup Guide for Hyper-V

Yes the spaces can be an issue especially when it comes to VCC as well moving things around SOBRs, etc. Best to avoid as noted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

For Job Filters, the length of a new Filter name in the working area has a 200-character limit, as noted here.

There is another character limit I found: the name of the Azure Proxy appliance cannot be more than 15-characters long, as noted here.

And, passwords used for Encryption must be at least 8-characters long.

Not sure if those are what you’re looking for Rasmus, but all I could find. Nothing definitive about a b/u, repl, copy, etc job name. Agree with you @vNote42 about the relevancy of such a question for an exam.

Nice find here Shane.  At least there is some limits in the documentation.  Seems that 260 is the job limitation as everyone has noted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

BTW: Avoid to rename Veeam Jobs! To be honest, I do not know current state, but it was not recommended in the past (at least incl 9.5!). Some items get renamed, others are not. For example, directories are not! After a while you see new and old names simultaneous in console. Very confusing! 

i noticed this two weeks ago, very confusing indeed!

Comment