Question

Very Large VM Size

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I’m backing up a single physical server that uses about 128GB of storage.  However, the “VM Size” as reported by the restore wizard is 834GB.  Why so large?

Thanks for any insight,

Frank

V drive is external USB

USB drives are excluded

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is the drive using ReFS and not NTFS?  Just wondering as that might be the reporting inconsistency.  The reported amount is more than the actual drive.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hello Frank,

At the job configuration, you are backup all the server, so, you have dics C:\ and disc V:\, and all data used is the Vm size you can see.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

By my math, I see the C: consuming about 128GB of space and V: consuming about 690GB of space, so that’d be 818GB which is pretty close to the 834GB of space you’re seeing in the backups.  I’m wondering if the USB drive is USB but isn’t being seen as an external drive or something like that.  If you start a file restore from one of the completed backups, is it giving you data that can be restored from the V: drive?

Userlevel 2

All file systems are NTFS.

The V drive is a usb drive and the backup job is not configured to back up USB drives (that checkbox is unchecked).  Additionally, the large VM size predated connecting the USB V drive.

I’m still trying to understand this.  If you have any ideas…

Thanks,

FRank

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Frank,

How many restore points do you have in your backup?

Userlevel 2

I have 37 restore points.

Also, I have 2 identical physical servers.  Both machines are using about 100GB out of 500GB of storage. One shows a VM size of 900GB (Server 1) and one shows a VM size of 100GB (Server 2). 

Veeam is installed on Server 1 and a Veeam agent on Server 2.

If I kick off a “Disk Restore → Export Disk” on Server 1 there is only one drive available with a size of 558GB.

As another test I made a fresh backup to a usb drive, the V drive.  And that backup also shows a 900GB VM size.

This is one of those times when I feel I’m missing something obvious but I haven’t figured out what.

Thanks,

Frank

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not sure if this will help or is even relevant but do you have the CBT driver installed for the Agents?

Userlevel 2

Hey Chris,

Where can I check that?  I don’t an icon for the agent in the system tray.

Frank

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey Chris,

Where can I check that?  I don’t an icon for the agent in the system tray.

Frank

If they are part of a protection group you can enable it in the properties of the group. Also if you check the properties of the server as well.

Userlevel 2

Chris,

Yes, CBT is enabled.

Thank you,

Frank

Comment