Skip to main content
Solved

Veeam Restore Windows 7 32 BIT - skip bad blocks error

We tried to  restore ( entire computer ) one of our production computer due to slowness. 

we tried multiple full backups from different dates. But all restored Hard disk ( New ) having some booting issue.

1. Automatically go to automatic repair mode and failed
  2. Cant boot into safe mode
  3. Went through the startup chkdsk - failed

** Noticed a warning as shown on the image during restore process . does it related to this booting issue ? 

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Did you check the Agent version for Veeam and the compatibility with the OS as Win7 is probably supported on a much older version. This more than likely the issue as well as the warning you received.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Good catch Chris. It appears the latest version of the Windows Agent does support Win 7 SP1, and 32-bit is supported as well:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/agents/system_requirements_windows.html?ver=120

@Sameera Fernando - are you running SP1 or just Win7 without SP?

Userlevel 1

Not sure what was service pack version. Only I know this is Windows 7 pro LCP for OEM. 
This is very old PC we got from vendors 15-20 years back with the production machine 

thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Not sure what was service pack version. Only I know this is Windows 7 pro LCP for OEM. 
This is very old PC we got from vendors 15-20 years back with the production machine 

thanks 

So install SP1 if you can and retry the restore after another backup.

Userlevel 1

Did you check the Agent version for Veeam and the compatibility with the OS as Win7 is probably supported on a much older version. This more than likely the issue as well as the warning you received.

Do you mean this error comes due to incompatible version of veeam agent installed on the PC?

then all backups we have so far on veeam should have this error and not usable? 

Thanks, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Do you mean this error comes due to incompatible version of veeam agent installed on the PC?

then all backups we have so far on veeam should have this error and not usable? 

Thanks, 

The Veeam agent version yes and compatibility with the OS. Windows 7 needs SP1 on it to work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

thanks 

You can easily check if it is installed. Open a CMD Prompt and type in: systeminfo <ENTER>

It’ll return what specific Win 7 version you’re on.

Yes...if you’re not on the proper supported OS version, you can run into issues as you’re seeing.

Userlevel 1

Hi 

Thank you very much for your valuable guidance. we tried multiple backups from Veeam repository, but all had same booting issue. 

Then I took an HDD duplication/Clone from original slow HDD to a NEW HDD. and ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk command. it is working ok now and much faster.

*** And It is Windows 7 Professional SP 1. 

look like the above veeam warning (image attached) related to the booting issue of all restored new HDDs. 

not sure when backing up it skip any important system files as bad blocks. 

Thanks Again

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Glad to hear you're working 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Great to hear you addressed the issue. 👍

Userlevel 1

Hi Guys, 

Should we disable the above mentioned “bad block skipping feature “on Veeam to avoid these kinds of problems?

I feel like, because of this skip bad blocks enabled option, all of our Veeam repository backups have system-level file corruption or file missing issues. That is why all the backups we tried did not work, even after we attempted to fix them.

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Guys, 

Should we disable the above mentioned “bad block skipping feature “on Veeam to avoid these kinds of problems?

I feel like, because of this skip bad blocks enabled option, all of our Veeam repository backups have system-level file corruption or file missing issues. That is why all the backups we tried did not work, even after we attempted to fix them.

Thanks 

Yes you should and also turn on health checks in Veeam to validate backups.

Userlevel 1

Hi Chris. 

These are the information I found when I checked the Veeam agent on the PC.

1. look like only last 4 backups) had bad block issue. all backups before that, are ok (Green) .
  2. And I push a manual backup and it went ok successfully. 

I am bit confused now, if this is related to system file corruption or veeam agent settings. 

****image attached ----

Thanks guys, for expert advice. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It looks like it is HDD bad blocks so it skipped those in the backup based on your screenshots.  So you need to always check the backups to ensure there are no bad blocks for restores.

Comment