Solved

Veeam Replication

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey community, can we perform replication job of agent based backups?

icon

Best answer by Mildur 26 October 2021, 07:10

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi

That is not possible today.

but you can do an instant vm recovery of a agent backup to vmware, hyperv or Nutanix.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The only way you have to do replication job is to act directly on backup storage through third parties, eg. Synology has HyperBackup app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The only way you have to do replication job is to act directly on backup storage through third parties, eg. Synology has HyperBackup app.

How will that work?

he is talking about Veeam Agent Backup. A synology cannot replicate a physical computer to another physical computer or a hypervisor. :) or is that possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

How will that work?

he is talking about Veeam Agent Backup. A synology cannot replicate a physical computer to another physical computer or a hypervisor. :) or is that possible?

True, but you can replicate all vbks when Agent finished the task via copy job to another NAS or whatever storage. 

It’s not the same thing, but you got same results.

Since Agent actually don’t have that feature directly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I see what @marcofabbri is saying, I wouldn’t recommend doing that as a way of getting backup copies as Veeam isn’t aware of them and there’s more likely a chance of data corruption that way, but in terms of a true “replica” as in VM replicated to another hypervisor, nope it’s not possible as of yet.

@Mildur is right that the best approach would be to do an Instant-VM Recovery on the destination infrastructure when required. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

That is not possible today.

but you can do an instant vm recovery of a agent backup to vmware, hyperv or Nutanix.

To expand on this you could restore to VMware or Hyper-V and then do a replication job from there.  Lots of extra work but a way around not being able to do it with the agent. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I see what @marcofabbri is saying, I wouldn’t recommend doing that as a way of getting backup copies as Veeam isn’t aware of them and there’s more likely a chance of data corruption that way, but in terms of a true “replica” as in VM replicated to another hypervisor, nope it’s not possible as of yet.

@Mildur is right that the best approach would be to do an Instant-VM Recovery on the destination infrastructure when required. :slight_smile:

Fully agree with @Mildur and @MicoolPaul. Never use 3rd party tools to copy Veeam data to another location. I have also colleagues trying to do that, I forbid doing that. Veeam BR is not aware of that and chance of corruption is bigger than using Veeam related mechanism.

Comment