Solved

Veeam O465 Backup Accounts Manager Password Issue

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to add an account that does not have MFA using the Veeam O365 Backup Accounts Manager. Password validation using the account password fails. Is an application password now required?

icon

Best answer by marcofabbri 31 August 2022, 18:00

View original

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Application password is needed only when MFA is enabled as reported here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo365/guide/adding_backup_accounts.html?ver=60

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As noted by Marco only when MFA is enabled.  Did you select Basic or Modern authentication when adding the account in VBM365?  You need to select Basic for what you are trying to do.

Userlevel 1

@marcofabbri Thank you for the confirmation

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

As noted by Marco only when MFA is enabled.  Did you select Basic or Modern authentication when adding the account in VBM365?  You need to select Basic for what you are trying to do.

And basic auth will work until 1 October 2022 @johnc22 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

And basic auth will work until 1 October 2022 @johnc22 

Yes forgot to add that part, thanks. 👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

And basic auth will work until 1 October 2022 @johnc22 

Yes forgot to add that part, thanks. 👍🏼

:)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@johnc22 give a double check about password typo and then please close this case if we answered to you :)

Userlevel 1

@Chris.Childerhose Thank you for the additional information. So basic authentication will not work after 1 October 2022?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.ChilderhoseThank you for the additional information. So basic authentication will not work after 1 October 2022?

Yes that is correct so you need to start planning for MFA now.  😁

Userlevel 1

Just so we are on the same page, here where I am in the Verson 6 VBM. So after 1 October an application password will be required?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Just so we are on the same page, here where I am in the Verson 6 VBM. So after 1 October an application password will be required?

Exactly. It's a new Microsoft policy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This is the article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/deprecation-of-basic-authentication-exchange-online

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes that is correct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.ChilderhoseThank you for the additional information. So basic authentication will not work after 1 October 2022?

Yes that is correct so you need to start planning for MFA now.  😁

I’m gonna sound pedantic here, but just to clarify, it’s Modern Authentication you’ve got to start planning for, which enables the use of features such as MFA, Conditional access, client certificate-based authentication etc. Thought I’d point this out as it’s a good excuse to share this link for more info:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/hybrid-modern-auth-overview?view=o365-worldwide#what-is-modern-authentication

Comment