Solved

Veeam not read the correct data usage from Dell Power protect

Userlevel 4

Hi,

We have a Dell Power Protect appliance with 7.5TB of space, when I check the used space on the Veeam console, I found that it's only shows me the pre-compression value as used space (8 Tb). The console also shows me the free value (7 Tb) and I think it's correct after data compression.

So I still have other servers to add on veeam with 5TB of data and I want to know if our Dell Power Protect will support this extra space or not.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 5 January 2023, 11:34

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The used space value reflects the amount of data Veeam has written to the repository. Normally after deduplication and compression done by Veeam, but without block cloning done by a filesystem or further compression/deduplication done by an appliance.

The free space value is the amount of free space reported by the storage. So, there can be differences. For example, I have on a 65TB ReFS Repository more than 65TB used space reported and have still free space left.

Userlevel 4

Hi @JMeixner,

Thanks for your feedback.

So, can i trust in the free value reported by the appliance or i have to check with Dell EMC ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In my environments the free space value is correct. I have never used  a Dell Power Protect appliance , but I assume that it is reporting the correct value to Veeam.

Can you see the free space on a console or web interface of the appliance and compare the values?

Userlevel 4

Hi,

Yes, the appliance console show me the same values.

Thank you @JMeixner 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Fine 😎

If an answer has helped you, please select a best answer to close this question.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

Yes, the appliance console show me the same values.

Thank you @JMeixner 

This is usually the best way to compare what Veeam reports and your storage. As mentioned ReFS is similar in reporting within the console.

Userlevel 4

Hi @Chris.Childerhose,

Okay Thank you.

Thank you all, have a nice day.

Comment