VEEAM Explorer for Exchange - Result Window Status column

• 2 November 2020
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello,

when I do a restore of a whole mailbox via the VEEAM Explorer for Exchange I get a resut window with some statistics at the top of the windows - x items created successfully, y items skipped and so on.

Below of this there is table where all handled items are listed. But for all of them the status is “Success”, so you cannot see which item was skipped and which one was created and so on.

I think it would be useful when the status were a little bit informative. For example like in the picture below...

Do I miss a place were I can get this kind of information? I see in the log of the job is some of this, but I think it would be much easier to access the information directly in the result window.

What do you think? Is this a useful topic to address it to VEEAM development?

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Howdy JMeixner - welcome and thanks for posting.

I see this as intended behavior as the object we are restoring is the whole mailbox. Before we get to that point, I recommend you do the “Compare with Production” button for this very scenario:

Then you can easily see what is deleted, new, changed etc. Here is my calendar:

Here is my inbox, etc:

In this way, this question is answered even before the restore :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That being said, if you still think that should be something in the log/UI, you can enter that as a feature request in the Veeam Forums (we don’t ensure all of the FR’s are seen by Veeam Product Management in this new community site).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thank you for your response, @Rick Vanover .

I have seen the “Compare to production” and you are right, this gives similar information. But… not for the actual restore.

Some of our client are rather…. difficult :smile:

They want some summary of an mailbox restore. I will try if a compare before and after the restore will be satisfactory to them… At least I gve it a try :wink:

If not, then I will place a feature request and see what’s coming up with it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Part of me J is to spin this as how this can make the restore more efficient. 

Meaning, if we do the compare with - and only restore the changed/different etc. We’d avoid that long list of skipped. Granted with multiple folders this would become a challenge. Or even across things like calendar, mail, tasks, contacts, etc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I am not sure if I understand your statement correct.

In my opinion the compare is done at restore time - otherwise the statistic of the created, skipped, whatever items could not be written, and the restore itself would not work, too.

For my special client I would just need the result of the compare written in the status column of the table of the items. Perhaps with a button to get this table as a report…. :grinning: (this would be the dream solution)

I don’t know if this client is that special or if others have this “problem”, too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The efficient means you can (somewhat quickly) scan the whole of the items for a quick list of what is unchanged on the target (the mailbox).

And if you select (I sorted by Item state) - It will just restore what needs restoring.

Comment