Veeam Disaster Recovery Orchestrator v6 – Datalab Test

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

In this post, I will show how to create the Orchestrator Plan in VDRO v6 and execute the Datalab Test.

Environment

• VMware vCenter Server Appliance 8.0
  • VMware vSphere 8.0
  • Veeam Backup and Replication v12
  • Veeam Disaster Recovery Orchestrator v6
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (Protected VM)

Remark: This architecture is NOT used for production environment, it can be used for home lab only.  For architecture, please refer to this link https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vdro/userguide/architecture_overview.html?ver=60

Licenses

• VMware vCenter Server Standard Edition
  • VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus Edition
  • Veeam Data Platform – Premium Edition v12
  • Veeam Recovery Orchestrator v6

Configuration Flow

• Create a virtual lab environment in VBR
  • Setup a VM replication job in VBR
  • Create an Orchetration plan
  • Execute the Readiness Test
  • Execute the Datalab Test

For details of virtual lab and orchestration plan configuration, please refer to my blog:

https://wuchikin.wordpress.com/2023/05/03/veeam-disaster-recovery-orchestrator-v6-datalab-test/

Running the Readiness Test and Datalab Test

Choose your orchestration plan, click Verify and select Run Readiness Check. Check if there is no any errors or warning in the “Latest Check" tab.

Now we can run a DataLab Test. Click Verify and select Run Datalab Test. Select your Datalab, click Next.

Click Next.

Choose your Lab Group, click Next.

Click Finish.

Then the Datalab test starts.

Go to Veeam VBR console, you can see there are three jobs are running. i.e. the Virtual Lab is started, recovery VM is power on and VRDO job is running.

After the Recovery VM is power on, it will verify the SQL port.

After the test is completed successfully, navigate to Reports and download the corresponding DataLab Test Report.

You can refer to the report for details.

Finally you need to click "Power off" to close the Datalab and revert the configuration.

This demonstration is completed. VDRO can help the customer uses one-click orchestration plans for critical applications, and rich features for documentation and testing. We will discuss how to recover the VM with orchestrator plan in next post.

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Nice post @victorwu !
I think this should be in the ‘Blogs and Podcasts’ section though, as I think this is more of a blog post than a discussion item?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Nice post @victorwu !
I think this should be in the ‘Blogs and Podcasts’ section though, as I think this is more of a blog post than a discussion item?

@coolsport00 Thanks for your comments, I will post these contents in the “Blogs and Podcasts” section next time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

All good. Still a great post Victor. Hope you’re well. You going to Miami in a couple weeks?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

All good. Still a great post Victor. Hope you’re well. You going to Miami in a couple weeks?

@coolsport00 I do not go to VeeamON 2023 this year. Enjoy the event and foods.😁 But I will go to Veeam ProPartner Summit 2023 in Hong Kong next week.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry to hear :( I will for sure enjoy it. Hope you have a great weekend!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great article Victor! 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Great write up. Thanks for sharing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Is there something that requires vSphere Enterprise Plus?  Just found that odd, unless that’s just what licensing you have available to you (that’s what I use in the Lab as I have NFR licensing, but not what I have in production).

Comment