Solved

Veeam cloud connect, choose a different gateway

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

I am the end user and currently subscribe to cloud connect from a service provider. I am running into an issue where I have totally crushed my bandwidth limits at my DC location because of backups. I would like to shift my backup traffic to use a different gateway, much like I am able to do with object storage, but I am not seeing an option for the service provider configuration to select a different gateway. Is the only option for my backup copies to go to the cloud connect provider through the Veeam server and not a different gateway? 

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 16 August 2022, 01:36

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The end user cannot change the GW that is done at the provider end and they need to change it. Normally you set up gateway pools for the provider side to have options. But it will always send you to the first GW you connect to.  I work for an MSP so have set this up many times.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’d like to follow this up with a question, are your bandwidth limits per host? I’m unsure what changing the source is going to do if you have a single WAN connection anyway, unless they all have their own internet breakouts?

Do you have any kind of private connectivity back to the service provider? Such as via MPLS or them being located in the same location as you?

If so they could also advertise cloud gateway services to you via that connection to avoid data traversing the WAN.

That scenario is written up here, but it’s for a service provider to action, not you: https://vccbook.io/3.Backups/3.5-cloud-gateway-pools.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Another option that I thought of is that if you are having issues with the GW then maybe you and your SP need to explore WAN Accelerators to be set up to help with sending data across.  You can check that out here - https://bp.veeam.com/vbr/2_Design_Structures/D_Veeam_Components/D_Wan_accelerator/WAN_Accelerator.html

Userlevel 1

The end user cannot change the GW that is done at the provider end and they need to change it. Normally you set up gateway pools for the provider side to have options. But it will always send you to the first GW you connect to.  I work for an MSP so have set this up many times.

@Chris.Childerhose  Thanks, this makes sense from the documentation showing the GW on the provider side. I thought that may be the case. I might do some trickery of routing on my end to guide it through some of my VPLS connections out from another site then. 

I’d like to follow this up with a question, are your bandwidth limits per host? I’m unsure what changing the source is going to do if you have a single WAN connection anyway, unless they all have their own internet breakouts?

Do you have any kind of private connectivity back to the service provider? Such as via MPLS or them being located in the same location as you?

If so they could also advertise cloud gateway services to you via that connection to avoid data traversing the WAN.

That scenario is written up here, but it’s for a service provider to action, not you: https://vccbook.io/3.Backups/3.5-cloud-gateway-pools.html

@MicoolPaul Bandwidth limits aren’t per host. I deployed a windows agent at one of my other locations that has multi gigabit WAN links and is VPLS connected to my main datacenter and have it moving my object storage bound backups that way. 

My datacenter is in one of the biggest colocation providers in the country. I also get my Veeam cloud connect from them and have it going to a different geolocation, sadly they didn’t give me the option and they ding me on overages for going above our 95th percentile on our WAN circuit when my overages are always Veeam cloud connect to them. They won’t do anything about it even though they can see the majority of the traffic is to them. I may do some routing trickery or extend a VLAN over my VPLS from another location and tie it to my Veeam server to get around this. I hate extending layer 2 but if it’s the only way… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You could also work with your provider and explore WAN Accelerators as well for another option but it has to be enable at both ends to work correctly.

WAN Accelerator - Veeam Backup & Replication Best Practice Guide

Comment