Solved

Veeam Backup & Replication very slow to start backup

Userlevel 4

Hi, I am testing Backup and Replication Community Edition and have a very simple test environment consisting of a single Windows Server 2022 with one boot SSD, two HDD’s and a third HDD which is my dedicated Backup Repository.  When I start the job, it take over an hour before it will begin to process/transfer data.  Is this normal or is stuck waiting for something before it can start the backup?  The server really has no load on it as it is a test machine (physical, not virtual).  Below is a screenshot:

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.  Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Hammer 30 November 2023, 22:23

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It is normal if you have a snapshot on a VM you're backing up. Since you have a physical server you're backing up... I can't think of anything off hand as to why it's taking so long to "process" before performing the backup 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you click on the “S2” server in the bottom left column of the statistics it will give you a breakdown of what it’s doing if you can click that and supply a screenshot please

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Good catch Michael! 

Userlevel 4

Thanks for the quick response.  When I click on S2, it looks like the hour was spent “creating VSS snapshot.”  However, what is interesting is during that time, when I looked at Performance Monitor, there was no disk access.  It’s running and copying data now…

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @Hammer 

make sure you applied the exclusion list for antivirus 

https://www.veeam.com/kb1999

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello @Hammer 

make sure you applied the exclusion list for antivirus 

https://www.veeam.com/kb1999

This is a good catch also for AV that can slow things too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for the quick response.  When I click on S2, it looks like the hour was spent “creating VSS snapshot.”  However, what is interesting is during that time, when I looked at Performance Monitor, there was no disk access.  It’s running and copying data now…

Okay I’d suggest going to c:\programdata\Veeam on the S2 server and finding the logs for the backup job (should be a sub folder within backup with the job name if memory serves correctly). And you can see if Veeam is waiting for VSS responses from the OS or if Veeam is hanging on something else 🙂

Userlevel 4

Hi, thanks again for your help.  Here is the section of the log file that show where things got “stuck.”

[29.11.2023 10:54:47.228] <16> Info         [RPC] Destroying RPC confirm session. Id: {1eff7a67-df5f-47a6-adbc-93591eadeada}

[29.11.2023 12:45:54.426] <08> Info           [CRL] Cleanup [Before: 255, After: 14]

It seems to be doing nothing for close to two hours, but I don’t know what Destroying RPC means…

Below is a bigger section of the log.

thank you again…

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

RPC = remote procedure call. I’d check the windows event log for any errors. I’d also suggest trying a backup without application aware processing and see if that works

Userlevel 4

Hi, I appreciate everyone’s help on this issue.  I looked in the logs but didn’t see anything that jumped to me.  However, what seems to have solved the issue was reformatting one of the HDD’s I was backing up.  Now, my VSS Snapshot time is down to 8 minutes…much better than the prior 1.5 hours.  Anyways, I hope that was the issue and thank you again.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thanks for sharing what worked for you!

Comment