Solved

Veeam Backup & Replication V11

Userlevel 3
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 6 comments

Hi all,
I have 2 Backup Servers (Veeam B&R v11) running independently from each other with 2 licenses (16 Sockets CPU and 24 Sockets CPU). My goal is that both Backup Servers can backup from disk -> disk(HPE StorgeOne 5200) -> Tape (HPE MSL 3040). I have some questions as follows:
- Is it possible to add 1 Window Server (Use it as Tape Server) to 2 Veeam Backup Server?
- Can use 2 Window Server (Use it as Tape Server) to manage 1 Tape Library (HPE MSL 3040)? If so, what needs to be done?
- Is it possible to add 2 licenses to 1 Backup Server to increase the number of CPU Sockets to 40?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Mildur 4 July 2023, 18:35

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Here are some thoughts for your questions -

• Is it possible to add 1 Window Server (Use it as Tape Server) to 2 Veeam Backup Server? --- This is not possible as Veeam requires exclusive access to the tape server so you would require 2 tape servers - one for each VBR server.
  • Can use 2 Window Server (Use it as Tape Server) to manage 1 Tape Library (HPE MSL 3040)? If so, what needs to be done? --- From what I understand about tape drives this is no possible either as typically the Windows server takes exclusive access to the tape device so this would also pertain to the first question also.
  • Is it possible to add 2 licenses to 1 Backup Server to increase the number of CPU Sockets to 40? --- There is only one license allowed in VBR so you would need to combine them to add more sockets to your VBR server.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, you can merge 2 socket licenses in the License Portal on your customer support site/login as noted in the Guide so you have 1 license for your server. I’m pretty sure you can use 1 server for 2 VBR servers, but not recommended. You can potentially have overlapping tasks, etc and mess up your environment. You can review what Veeam documentation states about them here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“Is it possible to add 1 Window Server (Use it as Tape Server) to 2 Veeam Backup Server? --- This is not possible as Veeam requires exclusive access to the tape server so you would require 2 tape servers - one for each VBR server.”

>Good to know @Chris.Childerhose ; I’m not entirely familiar with TS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

“Is it possible to add 1 Window Server (Use it as Tape Server) to 2 Veeam Backup Server? --- This is not possible as Veeam requires exclusive access to the tape server so you would require 2 tape servers - one for each VBR server.”

>Good to know @Chris.Childerhose ; I’m not entirely familiar with TS.

Yes, we have VCC to Tape running and Veeam gets angry when it cannot have exclusive access to the tape drives.  😂

Userlevel 3

Hi  Chris.Childerhose

Can use 2 Window Server (Use it as Tape Server) to manage 1 Tape Library (HPE MSL 3040)? If so, what needs to be done? --- From what I understand about tape drives this is no possible either as typically the Windows server takes exclusive access to the tape device so this would also pertain to the first question also →  It means 2 Backup servers cannot share 1 HPE Tape MSL 3040, that right?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi  Chris.Childerhose

Can use 2 Window Server (Use it as Tape Server) to manage 1 Tape Library (HPE MSL 3040)? If so, what needs to be done? --- From what I understand about tape drives this is no possible either as typically the Windows server takes exclusive access to the tape device so this would also pertain to the first question also →  It means 2 Backup servers cannot share 1 HPE Tape MSL 3040, that right?

Thanks!

That is correct.

Userlevel 3

Hi Chris.Childerhose and coolsport00,

Everything is clear. Thanks for your help.

The topic can be closed.

Regards!

Tunglh

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

A single Tape library can be shared between two tape server.

But you must be able to partition the tape library. Meaning assign specific slots and drives to a partition. Each tape server will then connect to it‘s own partition in the tape library.

Partitioning should be possible with HPE MSL 3040:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/videoDisplay?videoId=vtc00000367en_us

From our user guide:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/tape_supported_devices.html?ver=120

Veeam Backup & Replication supports Linear Tape-Open (LTO) tape libraries:

• Physical libraries, standalone drives and virtual tape libraries.
  • Partitions of the physical or virtual tape libraries presented to the Veeam backup server.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 3

A single Tape library can be shared between two tape server.

But you must be able to partition the tape library. Meaning assign specific slots and drives to a partition. Each tape server will then connect to it‘s own partition in the tape library.

Partitioning should be possible with HPE MSL 3040:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/videoDisplay?videoId=vtc00000367en_us

From our user guide:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/tape_supported_devices.html?ver=120

Veeam Backup & Replication supports Linear Tape-Open (LTO) tape libraries:

• Physical libraries, standalone drives and virtual tape libraries.
  • Partitions of the physical or virtual tape libraries presented to the Veeam backup server.

Best,

Fabian

Hi Mildur,

Thank you for your answer, I will test on my system as your guide.

Regards/

Tunglh

Comment