Skip to main content
Solved

Veeam Backup & Replication can't start

Hi all. The situation is a little unusual, in our infrastructure there is a working version of Veeam Backup & Replication 11 running on a virtual machine with Windows Server 2019 Standard, everything is fine with it. But recently we launched a spare physical server in the data center, I exported a virtual machine with Veeam there, and now it does not start.

Of the 16 Veeam services, 3 cannot start - “Veeam Backup Service”, “Veeam Broker Service” and “Veeam CDP Coordinator Service”, so the management console does not start. Error 1064 “An exception occured in the service when handling the control request”.

Please help me understand what’s going on, this is a complete copy of a virtual machine, just running on a different physical host, what’s the problem?

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi,

This could be a few things, it could be DNS related if the server doesn’t have the same network connectivity, it could also be a conflict if the old server is still running. It could also be inability to reach its database. Go to c:\programdata\Veeam and read the logs or the windows events and it should shine a light more into what’s going on. Could also be a time sync issue with the host’s time being out. There’s plenty of possibles but the logs will narrow it down

Userlevel 1

Hi,

This could be a few things, it could be DNS related if the server doesn’t have the same network connectivity, it could also be a conflict if the old server is still running. It could also be inability to reach its database. Go to c:\programdata\Veeam and read the logs or the windows events and it should shine a light more into what’s going on. Could also be a time sync issue with the host’s time being out. There’s plenty of possibles but the logs will narrow it down

Thanks Paul! I looked at the service logs in this folder and found that the services did not start because there was no connection to the SQL server. It turned out that service “SQL Service (VEEAMSQL2016) for some reason did not start, and I didn’t even think about it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Glad to hear the problem is resolved 🙂

Comment