Veeam Backup in Readhat Virtualization

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I there anyone use Veeam Backup for RedHat Virtulization ?

If anyone use, would you please share your experience and defficuiltys.

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry I have thought into the wrong direction. Just ignore this post :sunglasses:

What usecase do you have exactly?

VMs with RedHat can be backed up by snapshot with VBR without problems.

Application aware backup works, too.

You can install the Veeam Agent for Linux and backup files and/or volumes.

Enterprise Plugins for RMAN or SAP can be installed and are working.

So, please let us know your specific usecase or problem. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Shaokat,

Do you mean for the Hypervisor portion KVM? It is not supported but I remember hearing some talk a while back that they were thinking about adding it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I asked Veeam many times for kvm/ovirt/kubevirt backup, they told me: They know the needs but no official things on roadmap. Maybe @Rick Vanover have some input to provide.

I think it’s all about demands etc, nutanix is kvm based and it’s supported.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Well guys currently the answer is to use the agents on hypervisors other than VMware, Hyper-V or Nutanix.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Shaokat,

Do you mean for the Hypervisor portion KVM? It is not supported but I remember hearing some talk a while back that they were thinking about adding it.

its ovirt 4.4

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I asked Veeam many times for kvm/ovirt/kubevirt backup, they told me: They know the needs but no official things on roadmap. Maybe @Rick Vanover have some input to provide.

I think it’s all about demands etc, nutanix is kvm based and it’s supported.

Thanks for your reply. redhat kvm/ovirt is used limited company. I think that's way veeam still not work for this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Shaokat  there is a ton of informations in this topic below:

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/is-veeam-doing-anything-in-kvm-space-t23343.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@BertrandFR thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Sorry I have thought into the wrong direction. Just ignore this post :sunglasses:

What usecase do you have exactly?

VMs with RedHat can be backed up by snapshot with VBR without problems.

Application aware backup works, too.

You can install the Veeam Agent for Linux and backup files and/or volumes.

Enterprise Plugins for RMAN or SAP can be installed and are working.

So, please let us know your specific usecase or problem. 😎

okay. no problem. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I think it was Anton Gostev how said that any KVM implementation is lacking of all necessary backup features like an API, CBT and such. This was the reason why Nutanix was added, as it offers everything for a consistent backup.

If necessary I would go with Veeam agents.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

A quick update from VeeamON; it looks like support Veeam backup for RHV is coming @Shaokat 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

yes funny how things change :) we were just talking about this and boom… Now supported. Back to the original question, I have played around with KVM and Qemu. KVM is a type 1 hypervizor whereas Qemu is type 2 so KVM is baremetal like vmware and hyper-v. I had no issues while testing but never got to run it in production. I did run XEN for a while but it looks like XEN is going away.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

In latest discussions with different customers I heard more about Proxmox than RedHat Virtualization. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

For now, use agents as @Rick Vanover states. Stay tuned for more goodness in the future though!
Cheers!

Comment