Solved

Veeam Azure Backup BYOL license

Userlevel 3
Badge

Dear All,

I would just like to know, if I want to protect my Azure workload using Veeam backup for Azure by downloading the preconfigured appliance available in marketplace, Can I use Veeam universal licenses file onto it.

I dont want to create any VBR Server either on-premise or hybrid.

Any help or support is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Sunny

icon

Best answer by Mildur 28 March 2022, 14:01

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Sunny Ghai 

Just install the license as described in this guide.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbazure/guide/license_install.html?ver=30

You don‘t have to connect a vbr server. 
If you use the same license on a vbr server, you should connect them for a centralized license management.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Mildur,

I have downloaded the trial license file from www.veeam.com for VBR VUL 1000 instances.  When I upload this license file onto the Veeam Azure appliance, it gives an error. 

My requirement is that, I have veeam universal licenses for 20 VMs which I want to use it to backup native Azure workload wherein BYOL edition of Veeam azure appliance is installed. 

It does not accept the license file and veeam is telling me to put this license file in VBR Server and add that appliance in VBR Console. 

I dont want to integrate my Azure Veeam backup with VBR. 

Regards,

Sunny

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I don’t know if there is a special license type for the Azure product.

It’s possible, that for the standalone VBA version, Veeam creates a dedicated VUL license with instances and doesn’t use the VBR VUL license type. Best to call your veeam sales representative to get the correct license.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Sunny, 

According to the documentation, you have the option to use the Free license which allows 10 instances to be protected:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbazure/guide/licensing.html?ver=30

The other option is BYOL which needs to be requested from a Veeam Sales Representative. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Mildur   Looks like that’s the case.  Anyways I have raised a license case with Veeam Support.  Hopefully should get a resolution.

I thought somebody had faced this type of issue before, thought of checking with legends :)

@dips  Thanks for sharing help center document.  We don't have any specific resolution of my problem in help center docs.

Comment