Solved

Veeam as VM with HPE storeonce

• 13 November 2021
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone…

Veeam with HPE Storeonce..

i have Veeam enterprise installed on ESXi as a VM,,, and i have multiple ESXi hosts that connected to SAN Storage…. via SAN switches…

my question is how can connect the Veeam to HPE Storeonce over FC connection,, in case it is not possible i need to know which the best scenario to connect them to take a VM backups from VMware…

Thanks a lot..

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 13 November 2021, 15:42

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Most times you install a physical server which provides FC connections to the storage. This server is the proxy or repository server and the VBR server can reside on a VM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Sorry, wrong text ….

editet :-)

Userlevel 1

on the current time i can’t define physical server for this mission,,, also the transfer over network switch will be mostly slowly not like FC….

and i have this question to provide FC connectivity without physicals server,,,  can i mount the HPE storeonce storage on VMware , and allow Veeam VM to access this mounted storage ,,,  is this possible and make sense ???

Userlevel 1

Most times you install a physical server which provides FC connections to the storage. This server is the proxy or repository server and the VBR server can reside on a VM.

on the current time i can’t define physical server for this mission,,, also the transfer over network switch will be mostly slowly not like FC….

and i have this question to provide FC connectivity without physicals server,,,  can i mount the HPE storeonce storage on VMware , and allow Veeam VM to access this mounted storage ,,,  is this possible and make sense ???

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As far as I know it is technically possible to get FC connections to a VM with the newer VMware versions.

But it is not recommended. And you will not get the normal FC speed...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Please see here the official description in the Veeam help center for deploying your scenario.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/deduplicating_appliance_storeonce.html?ver=110

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please see here the official description in the Veeam help center for deploying your scenario.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/deduplicating_appliance_storeonce.html?ver=110

This is a good reference. When it comes to VMs with FC you may need to look at passthrough of the HBA cards and as mentioned performance is not great adding the virtualization layer on top.  Best of luck getting it working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Fine that you got an answer to your question. 😉

Comment