Solved

Veeam agent for windows shows error can't resolve IP for cifs share, but writes files into the share.

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and using free Veeam agent on windows 10 and 11 to make a full backup to a synology DS224+ NAS. Both on latest firmware/version.

But after the step finalizing the snapshot, I get the error message that veeam could not resolve the IP of the cifs share. But I can access the share via explorer and the veaam configuration files are safed to this share. So it's working.

Did not find any threads for this problem.

Appreciate your help and tipps!

Best regards 

icon

Best answer by ltw001 14 April 2024, 10:33

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What version of the agent are you using?  The latest one?  If you check the logs it might give you an idea but considering it writes the files is a mystery normally it would not. Logs are here - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Agent

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Maybe is a network connection issue. You can check networking stability, DNS name resolution of your NAS and access permissions too. And try to disable IP V6 on your windows clients.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the fast answers!

It’s the newest version (6.1.0.349) → tells me “no updates available”.

I cant’t access the logs in the moment.

But it’s no networking issue, I think. Everything else is working fine. And with the old NAS (but also an old Veeam Agent Version) it worked fine. DNS name resolution works, NAS access permissions workd (as written in my first post → also veeam can write to the share). IP V6 is disabled on all networks devices and on the windows client. 

I tried it again and I was not able to connect to the share. I had to delete the share on the synology NAS, re-enter the credetials on the windows client and NOW it works. The strange thing is, I did that the last time as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for the fast answers!

It’s the newest version (6.1.0.349) → tells me “no updates available”.

I cant’t access the logs in the moment.

But it’s no networking issue, I think. Everything else is working fine. And with the old NAS (but also an old Veeam Agent Version) it worked fine. DNS name resolution works, NAS access permissions workd (as written in my first post → also veeam can write to the share). IP V6 is disabled on all networks devices and on the windows client. 

I tried it again and I was not able to connect to the share. I had to delete the share on the synology NAS, re-enter the credetials on the windows client and NOW it works. The strange thing is, I did that the last time as well.

Glad to hear you figured out the issue and seems odd you had to redo the creds but if it works good.

Comment