Question

Veeam Agent for Windows local copy and cloud

Userlevel 1

For a hardware server (no vmware) I use the Agent for Windows and backup to a local NAS. I added a cloud backup job to Wasabi which works but I noticed it disabled the schedule to the local NAS. I turned it back on and made sure the times do not overlap. Is that the only way to have a local and cloud copy with the Agent, two separate jobs? I like local for speed when restoring, cloud is only in case of disaster...

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @edisoninfo - if you have/use the Free VAW Edition, you can only use 1 backup job per documentation, as noted here

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As noted with the free edition by Shane only 1 copy but if you have a license then you can create two jobs for sure.  I have one copy local and one going to Wasabi with my licensed copy of the VAW.

Userlevel 1

Correct, I installed a license so both jobs run. I guess I am looking for something like the full Backup & Replication version that does both. SOBR or whatever….

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This site has a real good comparison tool you can use to see what comes with what Edition/version. Just expand the “+” to see the features and what each Edition can do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Correct, I installed a license so both jobs run. I guess I am looking for something like the full Backup & Replication version that does both. SOBR or whatever….

Then you should be able to run both jobs as long as they don’t overlap with timing.  That is key I think here for successful backups in both jobs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You should be able to run both with a license then...just don’t overlap with times.

Userlevel 1

OK, sorry, I guess I did not explain my question very well. I have used the B&R version almost since it was invented. This is my first time using the VAW to backup to the cloud. Until now I only went to local storage. I am just checking to see if using two separate jobs is the best way to backup to both local and cloud. Thank you for such fast responses!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

OK, sorry, I guess I did not explain my question very well. I have used the B&R version almost since it was invented. This is my first time using the VAW to backup to the cloud. Until now I only went to local storage. I am just checking to see if using two separate jobs is the best way to backup to both local and cloud. Thank you for such fast responses!!!

If governing from the agent itself, yes you’ll need 2x jobs as it doesn’t have a backup copy functionality or SOBR within itself. But if you manage it via VBR you can leverage a SOBR as a target that can do the copy/move for you, or a backup copy job. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, VAW you create two jobs the same as VBR like you have used to send one local and one to cloud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah ok. Yeah...I don’t think you can configure a VAW job like a VBR backup to go to both locations within the same VAW job...as I’m sure you’ve seen in the job configs (pic below)

As such, I think you’re doing it about as good as can be done.

Comment