Solved

vCenter Tags for application aware processing options

Hi,

we have 4 different backup priorities and vCenter Tags which our VMs are assigned to.

Now i would like to implement 3 different vCenter Tags for application-aware processing options. Unfortunatly i can’t remove the Prio4 Tag from aap settings, because it’s used for default.

Whats happens if a VM has assigned 2 Tags in aap options? Is there some kind of hierarchy which option will be used? What would be best practise in this case?

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 16 August 2022, 11:24

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello @Christian Dröge ,
if I see this correct, you are using single tags. Did you try the tag combination feature? With this the VMs are selected that have all tags in the given combination.

Are the different tags processing options for the same AAP backup? Or are they for different application backups with different options?

Hi Joe,

thank you for the hint. I’ll try the tag combination feature like u suggested.👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello,

If my memory is good, you have no solution for your issue.

Only parent / child is for tag category and tag name. 

If a VM has 2 TAG result is like “random”. 

TAG category < TAG name < VM name

In your case, you will always have the default tag settings applied + an other => 2 TAG result.

I had the same issue and now I always split job with several AAIP (sql, DC, ...) and if I need several options inside the same job I specifiy it manually with VM name to avoid TAG policy applied.  

If you change the second screen on the job to update the Prio4 tag to something else, you could probably think it differently.

Comment