Solved

vCenter server warning

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey guys,

Yesterday, I added a vCenter infrastructure to veeam but I got a warning saying the target machine actively refused it. Can anyone give a reason for that and suggest what needs to be done?

icon

Best answer by Iams3le 8 March 2022, 10:33

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Anandu 

Please make sure that no ports are blocked.

You can find the necessary ports on this Page.

Port 443 is required for Veeam to access the vcenter.

If that is no help, try to open a support case. It‘s really easy for veeam support to find the correct solution for a technical issue, after analyzing the debug logs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello @Anandu,

Like @Mildur mentioned above, there could be a number of reasons that could prompt this warning. Perhaps, ports 443 is not allowed (blocked), or also you do not have the necessary permission to do so etc. 

• Either way, a quick look at the log will be able to guid you. Lastly, ensure the DNS name or IP address is pingable!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Anandu Please make sure the compatibility of Veeam VBR and vCenter is supported. If yes, please check 443 port is allowed and the account access right for vCenter is no problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As others have said port 443 and also DNS is very important for resolution.  One of those should address the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

As others have said port 443 and also DNS is very important for resolution.  One of those should address the issue.

When in doubt, the problem is always DNS. :sweat_smile:

Good to remember Chris! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

When in doubt, the problem is always DNS. :sweat_smile:

Good to remember Chris! 

Yes I have had many issues in my homelab due to damn DNS.  :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, DNS is often a problem… 😎😎😎

I have fallen for this several times….

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Check permissions on your user?

Every actions is logged with Veeam, maybe check in %programdata%Veeam you should have a logs in reference to your actions with more verbosity.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Anandu This error "he target machine actively refused it" as already said is a generic error .

• Have you restarted vcenter (Windows)? XD:scream:
  • Wrong NAT?
  • It could also be asymmetric routing?
  • Vcenter local Firewall?
  • Firewall roles?

First you need to check the connectivity.

• try to do a telnet with the ip of the VCenter on port 443, if it does not respond it is FW between networks, FW on the vcenter

• try to do a tracert with ip of the Vcenter check how many hops it does and if it stops is a clue.

Then if there is connectivity check the user used if it has all the necessary permissions.
As mentioned by @BertrandFR  check the logs! the gospel :D
GL

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Anandu This error "he target machine actively refused it" as already said is a generic error .

• Have you restarted vcenter (Windows)? XD:scream:
  • Wrong NAT?
  • It could also be asymmetric routing?
  • Vcenter local Firewall?
  • Firewall roles?

First you need to check the connectivity.

• try to do a telnet with the ip of the VCenter on port 443, if it does not respond it is FW between networks, FW on the vcenter

• try to do a tracert with ip of the Vcenter check how many hops it does and if it stops is a clue.

Then if there is connectivity check the user used if it has all the necessary permissions.
As mentioned by @BertrandFR  check the logs! the gospel :D
GL

Well Expanded!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Anandu, could you please let us know if you have been able to resolve your issue and the steps you took to resolve it? If any of the answers in the comment section was vital to the resolution, kindly mark the comment so we all can learn from it :grin:

Comment