Question

VBR migration is stucking in Tape server scanning

• 14 September 2023
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello everyone,

I am doing VBR migration, and the configuration restoration stucked in “rescanning tape server”, actually, I am not sure how much should it takes or what should I do if it is still stucking

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Moustafa_Hindawi - I haven’t had that happen, and I just performed a VBR migration to v12 from v11a a week ago. Although, I didn’t/don’t have a tape solution in my environment. Is it still showing as above? Have you reached out to Support? Curious why it’s hanging there, unless it’s just taking a great deal of time to complete?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Moustafa_Hindawi - I haven’t had that happen, and I just performed a VBR migration to v12 from v11a a week ago. Although, I didn’t/don’t have a tape solution in my environment. Is it still showing as above? Have you reached out to Support? Curious why it’s hanging there, unless it’s just taking a great deal of time to complete?

I am not sure, but when I uncheck “Backup and replica catalog” it worked fine

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hmm..ok. I didn’t check that option myself because I don’t use it, and my migration went flawlessly.. Glad you’re up and going. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The lengthy rescan is probable due to the catalog and the number of backups/tapes/etc. that you use with backup to tape.  It can take some time but should never be a very long period of time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The lengthy rescan is probable due to the catalog and the number of backups/tapes/etc. that you use with backup to tape.  It can take some time but should never be a very long period of time.

Yep, that’s right. It will depend on the amount of information it needs to rescan but does get there eventually. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I was up to 3 days a while ago every time I needed to catalogue. I’m sure it’s higher using more tape.

Once I kick it off I try not to look at and remind myself it’s going to take a while. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I was up to 3 days a while ago every time I needed to catalogue. I’m sure it’s higher using more tape.

Once I kick it off I try not to look at and remind myself it’s going to take a while. 

Wow that seems like a lot and to me should not take that long, but if the system is loading tapes to read them, etc. then it just might.

Comment