Question

V365 job design

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello,

I need to install the product for new customer and I don’t find anything on internet about how to manage job for organisations “medium size”.

My customer has 8 Active directory forest and all are sync inside the same Azure tenant.

I need to backup all of them.

1. Is it “better” to have only 1 Exchange job (same for sharepoin, ...) for all or better to create 1job / domain name (each forest has a different public domain).

I mean : 

Exchange job - Target organization and select only mail + archive and add exclusion for what I don’t want.

OR

Exchange domain1 job - Target AAD group with domain1 users and repeat it for all other domain.

1. What is the solution to be sure I backup actual object AND futures one. If I select organization → It’s ok. If I select group, I need to be sure user is inside the group (Dynamic group is ok). What about sharepoint site ? When I select a group and check sites, it will backup personnal sharepoint site right ? but for the other one how do you manage it ? 

I don’t find anything on youtube or veeam webinar about a “Good” use case about it. It could be an excellent idea to make one about it but if you have some advices to give me before the video exists ^^  ?

18 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

A video would be great idea , @damien commenge (once you have the solution) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

While I know VB365 could handle one job for everything I would think breaking it out per domain might be a little easier for management as well as ensuring that the backups complete within the SLA requirement for the customer.

If you break it out with one job per domain, you can also have multiple proxies as well to process each job which you cannot do with a one job scenario.

I have never seen anything out there for this kind of scenario and it will be good to have a video as suggested.

See these from the Veeam help on Architecture setup and requirements -

Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Architecture - Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Guide

System Requirements - Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Guide

Keep in mind the resource requirements in either scenario as it will be higher for the one job scenario.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Chris.Childerhose 

To be honest, I read all the documentation, see lot’s of videos about VB365 but nothing to help me to make the design I ask here ^^ .

It’s not about ressource or proxy or repository.

My question is just about if I use job per domain, how to manage them. What would you integrate exactly ? 

Is there a way to say : Domain1 - Exchange job : I want all mail + archive for domain1 and same for sahrepoint, onedrive and teams.

If this is true, how to perform it ? This is my real question :) . There is only demo where people show it for 1 user / 1 group… Ok , it’s good for a POC but here for production, how to manage it better ^^ ? 

This is exactly the help I would like to find here ^^ or if you have some good link about real use case it’s should be perfect too :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah, not really sure how to help with this scenario as it goes above what I typically do with VB365, and it is one org per job.  If the Organizations have separate domains but the VB365 is common to all then you will need to create the one job scenario.

This is something that might be best being on a call with your Veeam team so you can ask the SE/SA you have about it and get recommendations.  Not sure if you have a sanitized Visio or other diagram showing the layout as that might help with suggestions.

Maybe this is something that @falkob or @Jim Jones can chime in on.  😁

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@chri

If it’s for 1 org, how do you manage it exactly ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If it is one org, then you can create multiple jobs for that one org.  You can break it out into Exchange jobs, SharePoint, etc.

You can also set up Dynamic Groups as well to split things up.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I mean, how do you do to be sure “future” object are backup ?

For personnal object it should be easy with dynamic group.

But what about sharepoint site ? or Teams ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That is what Dynamic Groups do - if a user falls within a group when they are added they are backed up automatically.

When you back up a Dynamic Group you get users that are added - Job Design | Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Best Practices

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

My english should be really bad because my issue is not about dynamic group xD.

I know what it is and how it works ^^ .

My issue is : when you create sharepoint site, if it’s not personnal site, it will not work with dynamic group or teams right ?

Like my picture attached. Accounting / developpment / … can be added to a dynamic group ?

Same for Teams group ?

Dynamic group contains user or device, not other type normally ^^

I could check all what  I want today. But tomorow, if new sharepoint site is created, that means I need to come here and add it. Isn’t there an other solution ? I know I can do it if I add all organization….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If the site is associated to a team and that team is selected to be backed up, then it should back up the SP site you create.  I cannot confirm this for sure, but it seems like based on what I can see in our VB365 that backs up our stuff it is just Personal sites for SP.

It looks like you need to add sites as they are created to the backup job from what I can see other than personal sites for a user.

Something to bring up with your Veeam Account team for sure on this one.

Bottom line it looks like it will not work as you stated currently in v7.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Chris.Childerhose Thanks for your answer.

I’m thinking about the picture I attach as job design. 

This model seems ok for me and should work fine no ?

Final question is.... Do I need only 4 repositories or do I need 3 / entity + 1 for global sharepoint + 1 for teams.

d:\exchange + d:\onedrive + d:\teams_sharepoint

or

d:\exchange\entity1 + d:\exchange\entity2 + …. + d:\onedrive\entity1 + d:\onedrive\entity2 + …. + d:\teams_sharepoint\entity1 + d:\teams_sharepoint\entity2 + …. + d:\teams\sharepoint\global (common for teams and sharepoint organization backup job)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah that seems like a good model for sure.  For the repos it is however you want to separate the data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You could also put the Teams data in the Sharepoint Jobs for each entity since they share most of the same data. You could also exclude your two Entities from the Global Teams job.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Three repositories per entity as you have outlined and then two more for each of your Global jobs. In your example, you would have eight repositories.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Chris.Childerhose 
Yes, I think this model seems ok for job design.

For repository, I think option 2 is best too because database will be lower and each entiy will have dedicated one. If an issue appears for “X reason” it will be easier to perform new full.

@HangTen416 

I saw in best practice 1 job / service is recommended but Sharepoint and Teams should share the same repository.

I would like an “auto” solution to backup. I would like to avoid to update the job because new Teams group is created… For this, I need to select all the organization to backup teams group.

I think I need 3 repo / entity + 1 common global (share sharepoint not personnal site + all entires teams groups).

If you have a solution to backup Teams without needed to update the job each time a new group is created, I can hear you :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Agreed there with you. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I guess my question is how big are we talking here.  Sounds pretty sizable.  I would certainly look at specifying with dynamic groups.  I’d probably have one job per domain unless you were going to break things down to one type (Exchange Online/Teams/OneDrive/Sharepoint Online) per job, but the recommendation of splitting that out should be going away with new versions (I don’t think the latest version made that recommendations obsolete yet).  For me, really, it comes down to what makes the most sense from a data management perspective.  Splitting it up too much makes it harder to manage and perhaps harder to run restores, but obviously one lump repository and job seems like it may not be sufficient for a larger org or orgs as well.  For my individual smaller clients, I have on repo and one backup job per Organization.  It works, though for my internal organization, it is pretty sizable and may benefit from breaking things up a little in backup run time and perhaps breaking up the sources.  I’ll note that I am backing up the entire organization, but for some of my clients, I’m using an AD group that is synced to Entra ID that specifies the license assignment, so I also specify that group as the source of objects to be backed up.  However, I still have to specify additional objects to backup such as resources and shared mailboxes, etc.  I’d like Veeam to develop that functionality a bit more so that you can dynamically select those types of accounts/mailboxes, but unless it was released in the latest version, that functionality doesn’t yet exist.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I guess my question is how big are we talking here.  Sounds pretty sizable.  I would certainly look at specifying with dynamic groups.  I’d probably have one job per domain unless you were going to break things down to one type (Exchange Online/Teams/OneDrive/Sharepoint Online) per job, but the recommendation of splitting that out should be going away with new versions (I don’t think the latest version made that recommendations obsolete yet).  For me, really, it comes down to what makes the most sense from a data management perspective.  Splitting it up too much makes it harder to manage and perhaps harder to run restores, but obviously one lump repository and job seems like it may not be sufficient for a larger org or orgs as well.  For my individual smaller clients, I have on repo and one backup job per Organization.  It works, though for my internal organization, it is pretty sizable and may benefit from breaking things up a little in backup run time and perhaps breaking up the sources.  I’ll note that I am backing up the entire organization, but for some of my clients, I’m using an AD group that is synced to Entra ID that specifies the license assignment, so I also specify that group as the source of objects to be backed up.  However, I still have to specify additional objects to backup such as resources and shared mailboxes, etc.  I’d like Veeam to develop that functionality a bit more so that you can dynamically select those types of accounts/mailboxes, but unless it was released in the latest version, that functionality doesn’t yet exist.

Hello,

Finally I used the design I wrote.

However there is an issue with shared mailbox yes.

I create AAD dynamic group with only licensed user and of course, it doesn’t backup sharedmailbox

I have 2 options :

Add manually shared mailbox into the job (or in AAD group) 

Create dedicated job for shared mailbox selecting organization (mail + archive) and exclude the previous AAD dynamic group right ?

Comment