Question

V12 Backup Copy Job / Objects to select by Infrastructure / Tags

Userlevel 4

Hi all,

i recently did an upgrade on a customer site to V12. Within our legacy Backup Copy jobs, i could select the “Objects to process” by a VMware vSphere Tag, per example by “business-critical”.

Within a new Backup Copy Job (both periodic and immediate), i have only the option to add Objects by “From backups” and “From jobs”.

With tags, we had the option to filter the VMs that are processed very dynamically.
Am i the only one, who is missing this feature? 

screenshot for example:

thanks and best regards
Markus

20 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It appears to be a limitation @Dynamic , although the documentation doesn’t appear to explicitly say you can’t add them. See here.

The helpcenter redirects to the VM Tags page, but doesn’t talk about Copy Jobs not being supported; or, doesn’t say Tags are supported by Copy Jobs. I think they’re only supported in a specific Copy job mode maybe. Whatever mode you’re trying to use...select the other one instead & see if you can add Tags

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And, according to this Forums Post, Tags are available in Periodic but not Immediate Mode. So if you’re using Immediate, that is probably the issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hey, very interesting I also noticed that after the update and didnt find a solution so far. 

I have several customers who use tags in copy jobs and wonder what happens with this AFTER the update to V12 .

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is it for both Modes? It should be only for Immediate Mode you can’t use Tags. That is also the case in v11, which I still use at the moment. To use Tags with Immediate Mode, refer to that Forums post. It suggests making a backup of VMs wanting to use Tags with and back them up. Then use Immediate Mode and Copy from that Backup. Not pretty, but works.

Userlevel 4

@coolsport00 i tried both modes. Seems to be an issue within V12. 
The option is not available anymore. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Gotcha. Hmm...report a bug in the Forums maybe. PMs monitor there pretty regularly. That may be by design...though I can’t imagine why as Tags are used by many, tho not by me :) (I do use container-based backup methods, but use Datastores as my source...not Tags). Would be interested in PM response.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Just had a quick look in the Lab, in both Immediate and Periodic modes the option for tags is missing. 

Userlevel 4

just found a post in the support forum regarding this:

From infrastructure function missing in new backup copy job - R&D Forums (veeam.com)

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Thank you for the link, I was not aware of that. How do I realise the following scenario?
1) Backup job on datastore level with 50 VMs
2) Backup copy job of the most important 5 VMs

Neither with the repository nor with the whole job as source i can do this?

Maybe with exclusion Tags for 45 VMs but...

Userlevel 4

you are totally right..

but im afraid, like @HannesK mentioned “from infrastructure” will not come back. So i think, also the option to select or filter by Tags..

I have a lot of customers, who are relaying on that feature :/ They cannot copy “everything” to another offsite location, they must select a portion of the whole systems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could tag the 5 most important VMs in your scenario and pit the into an own job. This job can be handled by a backup copy job.

You will have to build your jobs  and/or repos to reflect your scenarios.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@JMeixner this one is clear, but thats nöt a good solution. In many projects we use netapp storage and a part of the concept are storage snapshots and backups of the whole datatstore.

After this depending on the SLA we use tags to define what we need to copy offside.

Maybe @HannesK has an good idea? Removing the Feature without an alternative solution isnt so nice 

Userlevel 4

sorry, hit the solved button :( 
do i have the option to revert this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Madi.Cristil or @safiya  can revert this.

Userlevel 4

maybe it’s a workaroung to realize that by make an exclusion, and Tag every “non-business-critical” VM with an additional Tag…

see screenshot for an example

Userlevel 4

edited/deleted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I agree with @MatzeB , I’m discussing this now with @Mildur in the other forum.. :)

Maybe a “Include/Exclude” filter (as per Agent’s backup jobs) could help?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I just found the thread and also described our use case again

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey,

I see that I'm not the only one missing this functionality. We'll need to rethink the initial job configuration. It's a shame because it loses some flexibility, especially for direct S3 storage usage.
I ll take a look to the “Move backup”feature :)

Userlevel 4

any news or good workarounds on this? 

Facing this issue now on another customer site, with backup copies to a remote site with tape out - the customer only needs about 10% of the whole systems on that site/tape

Comment