Question

Upgrading Backup Chain Formats Periodic Copy Mode

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello guys,

A quick question about the upgrade process for a periodic backup copy job.

I have a backup copy job to a NAS repository with Per-Vm option set. 
To upgrade the chain I have to create a new job and map the backup, during mapping Veeam will synthesize full backup from the current backup and build a per-vm chains for every object.

In the case where the repository it’s not a ReFS/XFS partition, Veeam will recreate a Full Backup and I must have enough space on the disk partition right?

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you not just update the backup chain for the job in the console with v12?  Thought you could do this and it will upgrade the per VM chain for you?  I will check for sure but not at computer right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Pre-v12 periodic copy jobs are not compatible with the new v12 backup copy job format.

A new job must be created and the old backup chain must be mapped to the new job.

Without a FastClone supported repository, you must have the space to store the entire full backup.

Can you not just update the backup chain for the job in the console with v12?  Thought you could do this and it will upgrade the per VM chain for you?  

Only for immediate backup copy jobs with Per-machine backup files.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Pre-v12 periodic copy jobs are not compatible with the new v12 backup copy job format.

A new job must be created and the old backup chain must be mapped to the new job.

Without a FastClone supported repository, you must have the space to store the entire full backup.

Can you not just update the backup chain for the job in the console with v12?  Thought you could do this and it will upgrade the per VM chain for you?  

Best,

Fabian

Thanks for the clarification Fabian. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I just read the docs on this a week or so ago, as I juuuuust upgraded my environment to v12. Good reminder post 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Best,

Fabian

Thank for the confirmation :) 

Comment