Unique Features

Userlevel 2

Hey Guys..Please share the unique features of VEEAM in compare to commvault backup software

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi Manish…. I use both backup software and I think can be used for same purposes. Physical, hypervisor backup…. on premise or in cloud…. middleware or guestOS…. result is what matters.

First, and surely best, difference is User Experience as advantage for Veeam versus Commvault. And how you use backup software. 

In my experience Veeam manage better storage repository and deduplication inline. 

My 2 cents

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have used commvault a bit. The big difference in my opinion is that Veeam is easier to present to customers. The interface is more streamlined and intuitive. From a service provider perspective this is quite important as it saves you a lot of time explaining things. 

Userlevel 2

How veeam is different from commvault in-terms of features, user-friendly GUI, licensing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Manish.Bhandari, you already started a thread with the same question while ago and there are some answers already:

I am going to merge these two topics. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Manish.Bhandari,

Speaking honestly, you’ll inevitably get a more Veeam sided opinion here because we’re all users of Veeam and love the products, I’d suggest somewhere more neutral such as Spiceworks or reddit to get a wider set of opinions that include why people might prefer commvault.

I personally have ZERO workflows whereby I would need a feature in commvault that doesn’t exist within Veeam, that’s not to say they don’t exist, but I haven’t discovered one.

I’ve also only had one customer ever leave Veeam to go to commvault and that’s because they signed up to a managed services provider that required the use of commvault.

To give this some shape, what features do you require of your backup software and what workloads are you trying to protect?

Veeam v11 can protect Azure, AWS, GCP, Mac, AIX, Solaris, Windows, VMware, Hyper-V, Nutanix, Office 365 and is getting support for Red Hat and Kubernetes (via Kasten)

It supports migrations of workloads between these solutions too such as running cloud VMs on VMware/Hyper-V or carrying out Physical to Virtual (P2V) workloads.

Veeam has the Instant Recovery engine that can restore entire VMs, disks and even attach SQL Databases directly from backups without having to pre-recover.

There’s huge amounts Veeam can do, you’ll likely find what you need within the product, and as long as the product works for you and works reliably, what more can you want from a competitor?:relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I can list a couple things right off the top between the two -

1. Setup - Commvault is very convoluted in setting up and requires more attention to detail versus Veeam.
  2. User Interface - the Commvault one is very “busy” and hard to navigate where Veeam is streamlined and fluid.

If I cannot install something and figure it out after using it for a few hours myself it is not the product for me.  We are a reseller of both Commvault and Veeam but our Veeam services far outweigh the need for CV.  Also CV is geared more toward Larger Enterprises as well based on cost, etc.

Comment