Skip to main content
Solved

Unable to quiesce VM for backup possible due to Event ID 157

There is one VM in our prod environment that I am unable to backup due to unable to quiesce the VM. I looked at the event log of the machine and found out Event ID 157 and Event ID 15 started occurring same time the backup started failing.

Looks like there are phantom disks seen by the OS. Device Manager shows 2 drives and this is correct. I have storage migrated the VM but the error keeps on occurring meaning it is with the VM itself. System scan (sfc) not showing any error. 

What are your thoughts on this?  

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Unsure on this one what could be causing the issue.  A suggested workaround is build another VM and attach the 2 VMDK files to it.  Then power it on and see if the backup works.  There might be corruption in the VMware configuration file possibly (VMX).

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You could also download the VMX file and edit it to see if there is reference to the other “phantom” disks and remove them to clean it up but be careful with that file.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I had to reinstall vmware tools to fix the issue. The tools showed current but not sure when it got last updated but this was the only server that had the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I had to reinstall vmware tools to fix the issue. The tools showed current but not sure when it got last updated but this was the only server that had the issue.

Glad to hear you fixed the issue and it was something simple like the tools. 👍

Comment