Question

trying to VeeamZip a VM off of an old ESXi 5.5 with B&R 11, getting VSphere License or ESXi Version error.

Userlevel 3

Have an old ESXi 5.5.0 update 2 ver 5.77.3 host. Downgraded Veeam from ver 12 to 11, with the understanding that ver 11 supported ESXi 5.5. VeeamZip starts and quickly errors out with “Current VSphere license or ESXi version prohibits.” any thoughts?

Thanks.

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, is the ESXi server a free edition or licensed? The ESXi server must have a license to expose the APIs needed by Veeam.

If it is, then it’s a downgrade issue would be my guess

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Based on the message it is definitely a license issue for sure as mentioned.  Check there first.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Agreed...need to license that host.  Alternatively, maybe backup the VM with the Veeam Agent and restore it elsewhere.  There are other was as well...the alternative being a V2V via the VMware vCenter Standalone Converter, but you’d have to go with an older version for ESXI 5.5 which does have some security considerations to account for as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Either back up the VM using an agent or install a vSphere license on the ESXi host.

Userlevel 3

Thanks for the replies, sorry for my late response, been out of town.

The ESXi host is a stand alone Free version that does DOES have a license key installed, and it is listed as Expires: Never.

The Veeam B&R lists it license as Free and Community.

I was under the impression that Veeam Community would VeeamZip a free ESXi host.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The ESXi host is a stand alone Free version that does DOES have a license key installed, and it is listed as Expires: Never.

I was under the impression that Veeam Community would VeeamZip a free ESXi host.

Unfortunately as noted the VMware host needs a license other than the free one to accomplish this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It is not that Veeam does not want to do it, it’s the API from VMware is blocked by VMware when a free license is loaded.

I would suggest just using Veeam Agents to make the backup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Totally agree, use the Veeam Agent on that vm, or make yourself with a license for the host.

Easiest work around, the Veeam Agent!

Comment