Question

Tips on setting up a new veeam backup server

• 28 February 2024
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge

hi Veeam Community

I have a veeam backup server that is physically installed on an hpe server and the backup repositories are also local. There are 3 drives that are 18 TB each.Now we want to replace the new server with new hardware and my question is, what is the best way to migrate to the new server?There are about 60 terabytes of data on local drives
How can we do this with minimal downtime or disruption?Does anyone have any experience with this, I'd be happy to hear any suggestions or advice you may have

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @miriam1989 -

The best way to do this is to follow the “Migrate Veeam to New Server” section in the User Guide.

From a high-level, what you want to do is

1. Disable all jobs after they’re all complete
  2. Take a ‘final’ configuration DB backup & place on separate storage you can retrieve it from the new server
  3. Set up your new server and hardware (OS, updates, etc)
  4. Install Veeam on new server
  5. Then do a configuration DB ‘migrate’ operation
  6. Test your backup jobs

Also, are your drives compatible with the new server hardware? Do you have them in a RAID setup or are they just individual disk storage devices?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you are talking about a new server altogether with local storage for a repository, etc. then I might suggest once you get the OS installed and Veeam you add the current server (OLD) as a Repository.  This will then allow you to take advantage of VeeaMover to move the data from the current repository to the new one if that is what you are looking to do.

Depending on the file system format, whether it be NTFS, ReFS, XFS, etc.  This is the best way to move data with Veeam.  Using the Configuration backup is the best way to migrate everything as noted by Shane.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you are talking about a new server altogether with local storage for a repository, etc. then I might suggest once you get the OS installed and Veeam you add the current server (OLD) as a Repository.  This will then allow you to take advantage of VeeaMover to move the data from the current repository to the new one if that is what you are looking to do.

Depending on the file system format, whether it be NTFS, ReFS, XFS, etc.  This is the best way to move data with Veeam.  Using the Configuration backup is the best way to migrate everything as noted by Shane.

Yeah...good Repo migration suggestion here Chris. Best not to even mess with the old disks...keep them where they’re at then add the old server repos to new, & then ‘copy’ or ‘move’. Probably best to copy in case some network issue happens midway through and the backup data potentially gets corrupted.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @miriam1989 -

The best way to do this is to follow the “Migrate Veeam to New Server” section in the User Guide.

From a high-level, what you want to do is

1. Disable all jobs after they’re all complete
  2. Take a ‘final’ configuration DB backup & place on separate storage you can retrieve it from the new server
  3. Set up your new server and hardware (OS, updates, etc)
  4. Install Veeam on new server
  5. Then do a configuration DB ‘migrate’ operation
  6. Test your backup jobs

Also, are your drives compatible with the new server hardware? Do you have them in a RAID setup or are they just individual disk storage devices?

We have new storage and we want to transfer the local data to the new repository and another problem is the license and we only have one license and we cannot have 2 servers ready to work at the same time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @miriam1989 -

Chris suggested a way to get the backup data over. You should keep your old server up for a bit and add your Repos from old (orig) server to your new server after you have Veeam installed and the config DB migration completes. 

You should be able to use the same license as the one from the old server because you won’t be using your old server anymore...you’ll be on a new one. Place the license on your new server, then when you install Veeam, just browse to the license location and you should be good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah...good Repo migration suggestion here Chris. Best not to even mess with the old disks...keep them where they’re at then add the old server repos to new, & then ‘copy’ or ‘move’. Probably best to copy in case some network issue happens midway through and the backup data potentially gets corrupted.

That is what I said was to not do anything with the old repo and add it to the new server to move data. 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Chris.Childerhose - yep..I was just confirming is all 😊

Comment